I think I'll post in two parts tonight. This is the first with the basics.
Today we ventured out into oppressive heat, but determined to make it to a ferris wheel which we have been seeing out the window of the pool. It is huge, I'm guessing 40 stories tall. It never appears to be moving, but I figured there would be some sort of park there, even if we couldn't ride it. To our surprise, there was a cute little amusement park and the the ferris wheel was just moving so slowly you couldn't tell from the distance we'd been looking. It took 30-40 minutes to go all the way around (not sure on the time as DS2 has absconded with DH's watch; I'm sure its under the bed, but I 've decided if DH can't put things on the high shelf -like I've asked-, then its not my responsibility!). The photos show just how hazy it got today. We couldn't even see the ferris wheel from our hotel when we left. I think its a combination of pollution and heat, but today the air did stink whereas yesterday it did not.
This afternoon, we returned and hit the pool. DS1 was awesome, and now jumps into the pool from a standing position while holding the kick board. He only went under once, but I was right there. Even then he was actually treading water, head above water, but his eyes were huge! DS2 loved the pool today. Lots of giggles. He would hold my fingers and go all the way out to out stretched arms and back in to me in his little boat. Rather than clinging, he was splashing with his hands and kicking his feet. I think the infusion of protein is starting to show results.
After pool, we were in search of lunch at 2 pm, DS2 took an ugly turn. This time it wasn't really a temper tantrum, it felt more like an emotional throw up. We were in the lobby, so I took him upstairs. He screamed for 30 minutes at least (DH thinks it was 45, but I think 30). DH and DS1 stayed in the lobby as DS1 gets very concerned. He was hitting and pushing away from me with his hands and feet. I was afraid I would drop him, so I put him in his crib and stood beside it. He screamed and yelled, some tears, but kept one hand on my stomach. I could tell he wasn't ready to be placated, so I let him work it out, just standing there watching. Its really horrible, but it also seemed like something he needed to do. After about 20 minutes, I picked him up and sat on the couch. He kick, wiggled out of my arms, more whimpering than screaming now and then put his face into the couch. I was stroking his back, and he suddenly went limp. Scared me big time, but when I pulled him up, he was just sleeping. I let him sleep for about 10 minutes (maybe this is why DH thinks he was crying for 45 minutes vs. my 30 minute estimate). Of course, having two kids on this trip, there is no rest for anyone... I just picked him up, went to the lobby and put him in the stroller. He woke at this point, but said nothing. We went to lunch, hate to admit this, KFC, and he totally perked up over the french fries. He was happy and totally affectionate the rest of the day. Also found a children's shop beside KFC and got the little dude shorts! He has one pair of DS1's which fit - 6-12 months sized!
I really hope this doesn't happen on the airplane! If it was DS1, it would suck, but its ok. But with DS2 its weird, he's mine, but I don't know him that well. I think other people look at us differently when he cries. Ah, so be it.
Avoiding the heat late in the day, I took the boys to a play room on the fourth floor by myself. It is rather sparse, but it is an open space, with some air conditioning, and a ball pit. DS2 hated the ball pit by himself, but when I went in and let him sit in my lap as we threw balls and DS1, he thought that was fun. It is a pattern now - if its new, mommie has to be right there. If its known, like our hotel room, then mommie just has to be in view, but can be more than 2 feet away. Still not cool with anyone but me picking him up, but is willing to sit in Daddy's lap for a bottle.
On feeding - some good luck. I have switched his formula with no trouble a couple days ago and switched his bottle today. This are just little things to make my life easier. He is sucking more than biting the new bottle, which is the beginning of working those little, but all important, mouth muscles!
This evening we went to the Cantonese restaurant on the 2nd floor with the other NY couple traveling with us. They are very nice and have adopted a beautiful baby girl (not special needs). Everyone except ds1 ate well; which explains why I'm allowing the KFC trips. Their little girl is now teething. At one point she cried just a bit, and my boys were fixated. It is amazing the empathy that runs through/across these kids!
Tomorrow, we are visiting a tower. Don't know much about it, but it seems like all the sites have nice parks by them, so looking forward to it.
1 comment:
Yeah, I felt like people looked at us differently when Katelyn was crying too... kind of like "what are those people doing?? Are they stealing that child??"
I also agree that it made such a huge difference that we were already parents before adopting Katelyn... We would never have realized that she was just throwing typical 2 year old temper tantrums... and yes, sometimes they just need to work through whatever is bugging them, while we stand close so they know we're not going anywhere.
Hang in there... you're doing a great job!!!!
Post a Comment