July 30, 2008

7/30/08 - mostly photos tonight.

Tonight I'm switching the order, commentary first and photos second. Promise not to do it again.
Photography is a passion. But, and there is always a but, I work full time and I am a mom, so being on a trip to the amazing places we are seeing and not getting to spend time taking serious photos makes a small part of my heart cringe. The biggest item, is often I only gt one shot or two and then have to run to catch up with the others. The fact that we are here, doing well and now a family of four more than compensates.

Today, as I was reviewing shots, I realized there are still more photos of ds1 than ds2. There is a simple answer - DS2 is either being pushed by me or strapped to me, so not in the photos. This also explains why there are so few photos of me. I haven't been posting one of my favorite series of photos which is the back of dh and ds1 because, dh is hot and walking way faster than me - I do love this series!

Lastly on the photography, I cringe that a few of you know I'm into photography and are reading the blog. You are getting raw unedited shots. No exposure tweaks, no cropping and most noticeable of all no covering up the dust spots in the photos.

Today was muggy, but really not bad compared to Nanchang. Now that doesn't mean we weren't sweating within 5 minutes of walking, but it just didn't feel as bad. We went over to the huge - and I really mean huge - outdoor market of medicinal stuff - it is so much more than herbs! Also some food items, and pets - a curious combination. Again with pool time.

Also forgot to mention we have had a second adoption - ds1 has adopted a mouse, specifically a 10" Jerry, of Tom & Jerry. He needs to be with ds1 all the time or as reported by ds "is not happy". I love the transference.

Paper work is all good, everything went to the embassy (or consulate, at this point I'm confused), but tomorrow is the "swearing in". Friday very early we head home, via Beijing to Newark, then taxi to the city. That's it for tonight.


So much to shoot at the market, but with everything in the sea available in a dried form, it was also educational for the boys.
Streets and streets of shops, lots of people out walking about. It is a wholesale market, so people sell and buy in bulk for the most part.
After the market a quick bath for the boys!
View from our hotel room at night. I'm sure I have another shot in better focus, but good enough to give the idea.

Ds1 wanted a puppy. Not until he's old enough to marry!
What ds1 looks like when he's hot and sweaty!

Ladies selling live scorpions. Ds1 looking on.
Anybody need a dried lizard on a stick? son kept asking "how did the man catch so many?"

Seahorses by bulk. Here they also had turtle shells.
This man is cleaning a duck. Son mesmerized, husband horrified.

Start of the morning walk.
Saving the best for last. To the adoption moms, I now have the photo to trade. To the non-adoption moms, here's the scoop. If you adopt a child from China and stay at the White Swan Hotel, Mattel sponsors a playroom and gives every child a Barbie. Please note, this is a blond-haired, blue-eyed Barbie with a Chinese baby in her hands. Pretty horrific! But pretty awesome in a twisted John Waters kind of way. Sons loved it, DH wanted to give it back, I'm totally keeping this one; its mine!!




5 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm so glad you got to the medicine markets. This was by far the best place for photo opportunities while we were in Guangzhou. Stay cool and keep blogging. We're loving the updates. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

that seahorse shot is amazing!

Caroline said...

We wondering about the Barbie.... apparently, they go for big buck on Ebay! :) Enjoy the White Swan

Nicole said...

Sorry I hadn't checked the past couple of days... soooo happy you made it to Guangzhou... It's already Thursday night where you are, so you'll be heading home soon! Woohoo! We ended up staying at the Victory, so we didn't get the Barbie... glad you are keeping it and dh didn't give it back!

Nicole

Anonymous said...

Love the bathtub picture of your sons -- soon they'll be in your tub! Can't wait to see you (& barbie, too). Call when you've recuperated from the flight. Safe travels and see you soon. xxxooo Alice, Mitch & Julia