Ok, I'm frustrated. The adoption agency has told me when I need to be where, discouraged us from going to "busy and expensive" Beijing, encouraged us to use a specific travel agent for our arrangements, an agent who has been rude and now seems in control of our visas.
So hopefully we leave in 8 days.
Whenever I get angry/frustrated/feeling "duped"", I start doing research. So far I found the exact same flights the agent is recommending on Expedia for about $100 less. However, there will be a greater charge for any changes if I book it on Expedia. The agent didn't book any of the inner-China flights, which I presume are less expensive, and I will ask them to book before we go. Also the "expensive" hotels really don't look bad on Expedia. I'm finding 5 star hotels for around $200/night. I'm a New Yorker, anything under $400/night in a major world city is a good deal to me! Finally, I'm supposed to pay the agent around $180/person for processing the visa's. Well, it turns out the Chinese consulate is on the way to my office and for a same day service on a visa the current price is $135/person. So on this one maybe the agent earns the fee by taking on the hassle of a few hours waiting in person (jaded NYer thinks they are really out getting a coffee). Overall, I'm now feeling better about the prices by the rude agent and don't feel quite so duped. I'll deal with the lady and move on.
So what is the conclusion. YES, We are leaving in 8 days! Damn the torpedoes, we are off to China! We have no tickets, but we have filled out the Visa forms, we all had passport photos taken today, I told my boss I'm starting my leave next monday, and told our daytime sitter we are leaving on tuesday, so YES, WE CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN! Tomorrow morning I will storm the travel agents office until I'm happy, or I'll be on my way to the consulate by myself!
Now back to packing all the ridiculous stuff including extra disposable wash cloths, diapers, sippy cups and bibs!
Video with the Girls
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment