July 21, 2008

7/21/08 - Only hours to go!

Today was a rough day. Maybe it is the time change, maybe just general anxiety, but DH and I were not kind to one another. But, we made it through the day and are looking forward to tomorrow. I think DS1 understood something was up because he was very well behaved. DS1 and I are on China time, DH is struggling with the change.

On site seeing - we got around a bit today. DS1 attracts a crowd everywhere we go, but he was a bit nicer about it today. But he does run, appropriately so, when the grandmas try to touch him. We went to a grocery/department store just 5 minutes walk from the hotel. We loaded up on snacks, because DS1 and DH could not stop themselves. But big note to mommies coming this way - they have everything here! Huggies, wipes, soap, detergent, all types of bottles and sippy cups, formulas, all the U.S. brands, you name it, it was here. I brought tons of stuff from home, but really it all was here. But we also picked up soda, water and fruit. Our room is a small suite, one bedroom, living room, small eating area, kitchenette (fridge and sink) and a half bath. I opted for the suit due to having the two kids and not sure who would be sleeping when.

Also walked around the pavilion area. We found this shop with the most amazing embroidery I have ever seen. We bought one little piece today (for the boys' room), but we'll be back for another by the end of the trip. Also an unusual shop with patches and matches. Really amazing, highly decorated boxes of matches.

It is hot. Today reached over 100 degrees with at least 60% humidity. But, as I expected so I was kind of mentally prepared for it. Our agency guide keeps saying we'll need to make our room warmer so ds2 doesn't catch a cold.

So...Tomorrow. I'm not sure what to say. It will be a long day. I'm sure we'll be up by 7 am. The babies are to be here by 10:30 am, but at 10:20 we (us and one other couple) are to go to a central meeting room in the hotel. We will take our donation bag, the photos and notes that other mommies have sent, a small gift, our passports, and a fee for some paper work. We will meet our children, have a few minutes with the nannies, and start some of the paper work. We have been told we'll likely be back at our rooms around 11:15 am. We meet again at 2pm to start the official rounds of consulates and such that will occupy the next 3 hours, with kids in tow. Then the rest of the paper work moves forward via facilitators and we are free to bond, and sites see until Monday when we receive the passports/visas and head for Guangzhou.

I'm excited. I hope that we all pull through it together. I really don't know what to expect. I would prefer to have a day before doing the paperwork runs, but it just didn't work out that way. The other couple with us are adopting for the first time and this is their first child. At least we have each other to bounce around ideas. It will be interesting to go back to diapers, formula, and naps. It will be weird not to have personality history (i.e., likes and dislikes), but what I am most concerned about will be the complete lack of communication up front. The new guy will really be thrown in the deep end with us, and we won't know what he is trying to say. So, I will write again as soon as I can. Tomorrow/tonight we need your kindest thoughts and best wishes possible - after today, we really could use the boost!

5 comments:

Joanne Dugan said...

Sending much love to all of you...you will be such an amazing family for this very lucky young boy! And you will get through these bumps along the way...they are to be expected in this situation. We are sending huge waves of support for you and are totally in awe of what you're doing. incredible! xoxoxoox
J, L and H

Musings from Kim K. said...

In March, we were able to spend 15 minutes alone with your son's orphanage nannies to ask questions about Josie. We asked questions about her Chinese given name, her medical needs, her favorite foods and daily routine. Chris videotaped the entire thing and it's precious to us. You might have a few questions prepared in case you are given this opportunity.

Please know our family is sending well wishes your way. I'm here for support if you ever need anything. Nanchang in an amazing area.

All my best.

Anonymous said...

Have tears in my eyes just reading your latest and seeing your latest pictures!!!! I am so excited for the 4 of you. Can't believe at last it's just mere hours away before 3 becomes 4. You know all our love and best wishes are with you. Julia was asking about Zander again last night. I told her soon she could catch fireflies with him and his brother, she can't wait and neither can we. Keep the blog coming, and the pictures, too you bring it all alive. Lala Salama! xxxoooxxxooo Alice, Mitch & Julia

Anonymous said...

I'm weepy over here too. I'm so excited for you all & will keep you in my thoughts. However it goes, you'll pull through & have a wonderful new family. In the meantime, you'll all be killer charades-players!
Lots of love,
Kim, Paul & Brynn

Nicole said...

So, it's 10:30pm here... which means it's 10:30am there!!!! It's time!!!!!

I pray that everything is going smoothly. Hang in there... it may be tough, but it gets sooooo much better!

much love and lots of hugs!
Nicole