Well, I'm feeling stronger emotionally today. Not totally sure why. The morning started off with a huge temper tantrum from ds2. Started when we walked into the resturant for breakfast, I had to leave and take him upstairs. He cryied for a good 20 minutes, but would try to engage me a bit every once in a while, then start up again. It started because I took away a fork he was throwing at the neighbor table. Ds2 is a thrower! I guess if this was the worst he's got to throw at me right now, I can take it. Some how that was reassuring. The rest of the day, he was smiles, giggles and still a mama boy although spending more time allowing daddy in on giggles and even holding.
Today, although another >100 degree day, we kept the boys running. First to Wal Mart, and yes I just want to puke for having to admit that. We figured we needed to go indoors in the heat and it would be air conditioned. Well, if you need to know, it was "Chinese" air condition, which means it was only 90 degrees in there! Anyway it was fun to watch dh revolt at the cheap products, fun to watch ds1 go crazy with all the silly shopping "I want it" activity, and ds2 seems happy to go anywhere. We bought a new suitcase for around $20 for the stuff I'm buying and ds1 picked out a Tom & Jerry tank top. I'm actually in search of shorts for ds2, but split pants are so pervasive at his age, I'm not finding anything. I bought a pajama set and I am letting him wear those pants in public - again, if others can wear split pants or aprons, who is to say anything about baby blue pajama pants. Of course, DH is a bit horrified. We meet a group of about 6 Australian waiting adoptive parents who were to get their children tomorrow. They were great fun - sorry to generalize, but Aussies and us always seem to make a fun combination.
Next door was a nice shopping mall, took the opportunity to enjoy their air conditioning which was closer to 80 degrees. We had a major scare there when ds1's crock got stuck in the escalator. He is fine, with a scrape, but the shoe was eaten and I threw a stroller off of a moving escalator. Needless, no one comes near a raging bear. Yes, that would be me. But like I said, he is totally fine. P.S. we also had bought new Spiderman sandals at Wal Mart which now have come in handy.
Then off to KFC for lunch, and yes, more air conditioning, this time a good 70 degrees. It was slamming; Saturday full of families, and old ladies. This trip redeemed the old ladies for me. There was an old woman staring at ds2 and I while ds1 and dh were getting food. She was only 2-3 feet away. Little scary. I decided to point at her, get ds2 to look and then tickle him. He laughed and then we both waved. This approach totally worked. She smiled and walked off. The young girls there faun all over blonde baby, but honestly were also very friendly with ds2 as well.
From KFC to the pool. Ds2 was much better today. Almost all smiles and didn't mind if I went as deep as to get my shoulders wet. Now the pool is only 4 feet deep, so its only me bending my knees, its not like we are going to the deep, deep end.
After pool time I had a meeting with our adoption escort to fill out paper work, about an hours worth, which became a 90 minutes worth due to previously unseen energy reserves of ds2. All paper work is a go. Nice surprise we received a copy of his abandonment newspaper posting.
On emotions - he's so lovable, and yes, I think he'll grow into that head. Everyday better.
On physical - today we noticed he could squat and get back up. This is new! Also when I tickle him he fights back, the first day he just took it. Also, when I pick him up, one arm holds to me, he's not just there anymore. Also, when I put a hand out for him to walk with me, he reaches up and takes my hand. He tries to repeat sounds, "ge" and "ga" are favorites, but when I tried "go" ds1 got frustrated and informed me, "mom, he doesn't say "go"". Tonight at dinner, we went to a Cantonese style restaurant and he totally surprised me by starting to yell for food when a particular noodle dish was served. There was no question, he knew this dish. I have taught him the sign language move for "eat" and within two meals he has it down. He even gave it to me about 5 pm this evening when we were walking. The bottle sign hasn't been given yet.
On DS1, he just shocks me with a great level of maturity for the situation. Today he even let an old man knowingly touch his head. The fact the guy was also holding out a lollie pop may have had something to do with it. I'm a little worried about the lack of food going in, but I think in Guangzhou, which is only a couple days away, he'll have better food choices.
This afternoon, we stayed close to the hotel, but shopping- porcelain, silly stuff, and embroidery work. Neither of the boys took naps, so I'll sign off now - ds1 is going down, ds2 is already asleep and bell boy just brought up the one cork screw the house keeping staff has to open a bottle of wine we bought yesterday. DH is hopeful.
3 comments:
You're right... there are more food choices in Guangzhou... head over to Lucy's when you get there. The deli at the White Swan has lots of great stuff too.
Katelyn threw stuff too... so I can totally relate with the fork incident! She also scratched at us and even bit me once... that behavior didn't last. Discipline was so much easier once we got home.
Oh, and Katelyn keeps smiling and pointing when she sees pics of your ds2... I really hope we can all get together in the next year. What a hoot to see Josie, Nora, Katelyn and your ds2 all together!!!!
Nicole
Thanks for keeping us posted on all your milestones and daily adventures. Emma and I are enjoying all the pictures and details. I'm so glad your son wasn't injured with the shoe/escalator incident. Yikes.
Like Nicole's observation, Josie was a thrower too. Especially at the restaurants. She still has a tendency to whip stuff around when she's done eating.
Best wishes with your upcoming flight to Guangzhou. Josie was a beast, but I'm hopeful your son will do better on the plane.
It sounds like you guys are making your way through all this with grace. FF had a visceral reaction to noodles as well. The amazing thing is seeing the layers peel off one by one - until you actually get a true look at who your new son is. It takes time, but the journey is fun (and hard. And fun).
Post a Comment