A good and interesting day so far. We went walking to a pavilion near the hotel this morning. Out with both boys! They are very aware of each other and interacting a fair amount. DS2 watches everything ds1 does, which means DS1 has an easy audience for all funny faces. The fun part, or tough part, of being out and receiving all the stares and touching. DS1 doesn't like it when people touch him which is fair, but he is getting better at people looking/staring. DS2 is amazed by the world, and wants to run around like DS1, but simply doesn't have the muscle tone. I've noticed that there is a lot of whispering in Chinese after people note DS2 and I think its because they wonder how I got a boy. His lip repair is really that good. Our agency handler doesn't know what to do with all ds1's energy.
It was/is hot again today. Looking at 95-100 degrees for the next week. Thick humidity. There was a major cloud burst of about 2 hours late in the day yesterday, which came with big winds and then disappeared. Shortly after it was gone, I noticed we could see mountains from our hotel window. However, within 30 minutes, the smog, pollution, or humidity returned and the mountains were gone. You'll see what I mean, in that none of the attached photos offer great depth.
This afternoon I gave ds2 a bath while ds1 swam with daddy. Which means everyone has had a chance to wash the sweat off today except me! We were planning to go for a walk as I have no shoes that fit ds2 (the ones he was wearing from the orphanage are too small, and the ones I brought are too big) and only has two pairs of shorts that fit (this kid has no butt!). However, I decided ds2 was wiped and we would give him an extra bottle of formula, which he drank in 30 seconds and then blissfully went to sleep. Accordingly, a post before the end of the day. Ds2 asleep in crib and ds1 watching cartoons with daddy.
When we finally get out again, we are in search of fast food, franchise style. The hotel here is nice but ds2 and I are the only ones enjoying the Chinese food. Dh and ds1 need a bit of a change. I think we saw a KFC, it had a picture of the kernel (I know its the wrong spelling, but spell check can only go so far when you really screw up a word!) in neon although the lettering was in Chinese and not "KFC" that I could tell.
Updates on bonding - shockingly well. DS2 insist that I'm within 2 feet of him, but that's cool. He doesn't want dh to pick him up or hold him. However, this afternoon, he did venture into the hall a bit with dh and not me, which was a major break through. Ds1 is only marginally jealous, but keeps telling dh to stay back and not upset DS2, which I think has dh down a bit. Ds1 and 2 can be touching and playing with no problem. I have both boys sleeping in cribs, seperately. It is funny, but it works for them so its fine with me. DS1 views it as a fort, DS2 is simply accustomed.
Ds2 had two blister like things on his fingers yesterday, but four today. So he got a bath in warm antiseptic, a neosporin application and band aides. He is totally iron deficient and sweats an unbelievable amount. He can run and play for a while, but then the lack of muscle tone catches up and he's wiped out. He slept through the night, and his cough seems to be abating. He's generally happy, but I think I need to do the formula more than 2x daily like the orphanage said. And although I've stuffed him full, still no poopie, so tonight I start the prunes!
DS1 is having fun and very conscious of ds2. He kepts and eye on him, and gives him toys and things. DS1 is loving all the pool time. He can now thro out the floating kick board, jump and get it and swim back to the pool side. He did let go by accident today and tread water for a minute before going under, but it didn't phase him. Daddy was in the water and got him as DS2 and I watched. DS1 is getting better about putting his head under water. Amazingly, ds1 still doesn't recognize people are "Chinese". Every once in a while he notes that someone is very short. He did say to me our waitress the other morning had black eyes, but nothing more than that. No comments about how his brother looks.
DS2 will have to grow into his head. It is huge. I think this is part of the malnutrition, that the head grew but not the body. Also the back of his head is totally flat. There's no hiding it, you'll see the photos, he has a big, broad head, that I happen to think is adoring.
Ok, I know, you skipped the commentary and only looked at the photos.
9 comments:
What lovely pictures, Angela. I'm so happy to read about how well it's going. By taxi, there is a Pizza Hut in Nanchang. The pizza tastes identical to the pizza back in the states. The room service at the Gloria Hotel offers somewhat normal spaghetti. Our older daughter lived on that spaghetti. I completely understand the small issue. Josie was wearing size 9 month clothes and was 20 months old. She's just now wearing size 12 month clothes. I begged our guide to take us to the Walmart (not my favorite store by any means) to purchase smaller pants. Practically nothing fit that we brought for her lower half. Walmart came to our rescue. The store requires a taxi but it's near the People's Square which is another historic site.
Keep the pictures and updates coming. Our family is loving them.
He looks wonderful!!!! Like Kim said, there is a Pizza Hut in Nanchang. It's much nicer than a US Pizza Hut... very pretty on the inside. If you want a pepperoni pizza, just order the American Special. You are correct, there is a KFC too. I can't remember exactly where it was, but your guide will know.
Walmart is a great place to shop... just kind of strange there. There's also a "market" that has good prices on shoes and clothes (run by the local people). You enter from the street and it's like a 4 story mall... although, much warmer and not very clean.
Katelyn is sitting with me and staring at the pics of ds2... she just keeps smiling...
hugs,
Nicole
DW:
Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! We are so happy that everything has gone so smoothly for you. My buddy ZLM seems to be carrying wearing his 'big boy' demeanor complete with sensitivity and love on a daily basis.
Your pride beams through all the photos and we can't wait to meet the new addition to the LM family. (I bet that Rick would like some of the split pants for himself)
How as the Wall? Which section did you walk?
Looking forward to hearing and seeing more updates. If you have your laptop w/u Skype us at: katlinbr
Much love, peace and happiness.
Almost forgot... Katelyn sweats quite a bit as well. If she starts to cry and get upset, it just pours out of her body.
Awesome photos and posts! Be sure to stay busy these next few days and enjoy all Nanchang has to offer. Its such a wonderful city! Oh, and don't leave dh in the cold too long on the bonding issues. Something that worked well for us on first adoption was to let dh takeover the feeding. Only dh had the food while, mom was busy doing something else. This was a good way to break through for a kid that loves to eat! Nora loves seeing pics of her friend, keep the photos coming. YOU ALL ARE RADIATING!
Ah! He's gorgeous! And no worries- the muscle tone, the body catching up with the head- all that will come along in record time. The most important thing is that DS2 is open to bonding and seems to be doing great emotionally- all the physical stuff is a cake walk compared to that. You guys are doing so great! Wonderful to read!
Oh- and the sweat thing is probably a vitamin d deficiency. Just keep sticking him out in the sun and giving him the formula and it will correct itself.
The pictures are wonderful...keep them coming. We're so happy things are going so well on the bonding front. Enjoying the apt. but can't wait to meet our new friend when you get home. Email if you need any supplies for when you arrive home.
Amazing photos...and yes, your commentary was read closely : ). It's amazing how he already just seems like such a natural part of the family in the photos..something about that smile. It was all meant to be. Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful!!!!!
Post a Comment