September 04, 2008

Preschool Starts


"Yeah!" for the people who teach preschool. I am consistently amazed at the souls that choose interacting with the under five crowd as a way to make a living. This is an emotional, sensitive and wet (snotty, among other liquids) group. Bless them!

DS1 was a trouper yesterday and walked around the room, play space, cubby holes and all that jazz with the assistant instructor while DH and I sat with the primary instructor; in tiny little chairs at a tiny little table (no tea or pills involved). She, the lead teacher, is very cool. I liked her from the moment she said hello. The assistant instructor also very cool, and a Latino! Great vibes! In NYC, and I think NY state, all preschool teachers have to have a master degree. This blows my mind, but clearly creates some great educational environments.

We chatted on what DS1 does when he's mad (not really much), his general awesome temperament, what things he enjoys, his verbal (extreme!) and counting skills (still working on getting passed #5). He had no food allergies, so all good there. I did volunteer to bake for the class, anything they need. And yes, I've already been called on for monday; my mission is cookies without any egg product; so far thinking oatmeal raisin, but I'll come up with a few choices to cover the next few weeks. I love to bake when the end product quickly moves out our front door it is clearly a win-win scenario for the enjoyment of baking and the size of my thighs.

We also took DS2 along for the meeting. He loved the classroom as well. I mentioned the obvious, that he was adopted, but then also mentioned he was adopted just 6-7 weeks ago. I wanted them to know in case DS1 brought it up in class since it is all (adoption and preschool) is so new to us. Big surprise, DS1's new teacher, and educator of 20 years, African-American (Im guessing, could be Latina?), is an adoptee!! She volunteered the information in a happy and excited tone! I didn't ask any question, but I can't wait too.

This morning was the official first day of class, albeit with half the kids, and only half the half day, which means around an hour and only 10 kids. DS1 and I went to preschool, after cooking breakfast together with DS2 and the sitter. It was the first time DS2 was in the kitchen while cooking and it was fun. DS1 was trying to get him to help, but he really just wanted to watch and chew on a spatula, which, in my view, is a good start. The sitter just takes notes. She hadn't made scrabbled eggs with cheese before, so she thought that was cool, but was worried that I let DS1 break open all the eggs. But we had a great hour together cooking and eating and all bonding all four ways!

Back to preschool, it was cool. We went to our, or DS1's, cubby and put in the clothes for "accidents" and deposited the puppy that "had" to come along from home. And I put in my bag assuming that I'd be staying. Of the 10 kids there, and I should say half have a different head teacher and assistant, so in total we were 2 head teachers, 2 assistant teachers, 10 kids and 10 accompanying adults, there was only two other mommies, the rest were sitters. Clearly, this is a working crowd. Several kids had siblings in the upper levels, which made them familiar with the school. Only one little girl had not been to any separation class and was clinging. The rest were into exploration, but mostly parallel play, which is clearly a step back from his typical play-date or playground pick-up game. The teacher said this is common until the parents disappear and then the kids really start talking to one another. Overall, I think he had fun. I was jealous, it is definitely a cool way to spend a few hours; play dough, blocks, animal toys, gym and song and circle time.

On the way out, I asked the teacher if there was an adoption network at the school. She said no, but that she would help me get one started. I'm excited about this. The school is a pre-K through 12th grad school, with about 40 -50 kids at each grade, and we are in the heart of NYC, so I'm guessing there will be 10-15 adopted families, and maybe a few considering the choice? We'll find out more in a few days.

My goals in preschool are:
-for DS1 to have a blast, and maybe to learn too count to ten
-for DS2 to get some age and skill appropriate play time for him
-for me to meet some cool parents, and
-to not over extend myself and become too involved.

Well, in two days of school stuff, I think goals #1 and #2 are looking good, and I'm only obligated to baking for any and all occasions and starting an adopted family network! Awesome!

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Sounds like a banner first day at preschool. How cool that you'll be able to get an adoptive network put together too.

Now, the next thing will be exposure to germs and what ends up coming home with DS1. Josie was in preschool/daycare for 9 days and now has pneumonia. Pneumonia and a recent heart surgery is not a good mix. Throw in 2 parents who are are now back to work. It's been that kind of week. I'm really impressed at all the support you have in place.