In my youth, 18-25 years of age, I used to work out regularly. I rode my bike, ran, went to aerobic classes, lifted weights, generally, I had an active life style. On the weekends I also waited tables - just try telling me that isn't a work out! Somehow along with a real job, more mature friends, a move to NYC, marriage and children, I became a desk jockey (or read added about 20 pounds to my average weight).
With the two months off with the boys, running around all day, with twenty pounds of DS2 strapped to my chest, I felt like I was in the best shape I'd seen in many years. Now this doesn't mean in-shape, or anywhere near my ideal weight, but better than the bag of potatoes I was three months ago. The first day I came back to work, I went to the gym next door and joined. No questions asked, just signed up with my gym shoes in hand.
Aerobics have evolved. I don't think its just that I'm pathetically out of shape, it is actually harder now! The music totally sucks, and is played so loud that they must think I can't move unless I'm motivated to run from the sound of a jackhammer pounding through the speakers. But I enjoy moving about, often missing the "correct" step, but I'm generally smiling, and I notice the rest of the class is not. But, I like working out in a group, so I'll stick with it. I've even taken the kick boxing class, which was a lot of fun!
The clothing has changed - the thong is gone! I can work out in tights, shorts, T-shirt, jog bra, sweats, or whatever. There no longer seems to be a standard required uniform other than expensive trainers or running shoes. no leg warmers. Even a couple of the teachers have shown up in street clothes, well hip street clothes, to teach.
Maybe it is just my gym, but locker room etiquette has changed. Women cover up and slide their underthings on and off while wrapped with a towel and fully cover themselves on their way to and from the shower. Two things perplex me on this front. First 99.9% of the women at my gym are in fantastic shape and really should have no fears of not covering up. Second, the towels at my gym are too small to cover me up, so should I use two? I'm not huge, I'm just tall. So if the towel is around my chest, then my buns are showing. If around the waist, well you know. Also, I'm a mom. My body is not what it used to be. I'm no longer proud. I also don't really care who sees it (which still shocks DH when I take the garbage out to the hall in my undies and t-shirt, we live beside two older women and a gay man, none of them will care). I wish when I was 18 someone would have said, hey quit all that worrying about how you look, because this is as good as it gets, you just gain and get saggy from here!
I am also meeting with a personal trainer once a week. She is cool, but about 25 years old. Last session she told me she respected the moms that come in because moms can do anything. Then she gave me 20 more squats with a 15lb bar. Actually she is motivating, and she tells me some day I will be able to suck in my stomach to see a difference again. I'm hopeful, not convinced. But I do think I'll have better stamina if not stomach muscles.
I'm excited about getting in shape. I realize I'm not shooting for my ideal shape, but just great mommie shape. This means, being able to run around with the kids without getting totally winded. DH likes to take the bikes out on the weekend (we put the kids in a little trailer), and I like being able to keep up. I think the boys are great motivation for this. I think everyday they add greater perspective to my life. Everyday. And hey, I'm not losing time with them, just don't tell my employer that I'm now sneaking out for lunch three days a week! And yes, no photo for this post, maybe once I've been working out six months.
Video with the Girls
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment