September 29, 2008

Super Hero Powers


Ok, I told my son I'm a Super Hero. He LOVES it. First, I told him my super power was the ability to find anything anywhere; i.e., missing toy, shoes, snot on the floor. Then, I thought about it and added, I can find a mess anywhere, so don't make one.

Later we went for a bike ride. DS1 rides the bike, DS2 is in the stroller and I walk/jog/walk. DS1 got rather far ahead and as I was running to catch up, but he didn't wait for me like normal, he took the turn and headed up the hill out of the park. I was pissed. I of course caught up quickly because he still can't make it up hill. But I arrived like an angry bear. When he turned the corner, he was out of my sight. That is not cool. I took him by the arm, sat him on the sidewalk and very loudly informed him why he can't go where he can't see me anymore.

IF YOU GO OUT OF MY SIGHT I CAN'T BE THERE TO PROTECT YOU FROM THE BAD GUY. HOW AM I GOING TO KICK THE BAD GUY BUTT IF I CAN'T SEE YOU?!?!?

This actually worked. He loves the idea of me kicking the Bad Guy's butt. But, most of this is not my original idea. The "Bad Guy" idea was introduced by Scoobie Do, not me, so now I go with it. Rather than terrifying DS1, he believes in the end of the story we are going to remove the Bad Guy's mask. Yeah, Scoobie Do is pathetic. DS2 just likes to dance to the music of the show.

The kicking the Bad Guy butt, is something I borrowed from adoption literature. I was reading that one way to defuse a child that is afraid of being left again is to tell them that no one is taking them, that you are now there to fight for them. Frankly, it works even for DS1. I guess everyone wants to know that they are so loved that mommie will fight to keep them.

But my super powers continue to grow. In the last couple weeks I have added a couple more new super powers; I can smell DS2's poopie from 5 feet away and tell DH to pick him up and, I can make a cookie out of any fruit or vegetable, so pick one.

But I've also found there is value in talking with the guys about what their super powers are. While DS1 has suggested several, I've been trying to convince him we share an amazing power; creativity, if we can think of it, we can create it. We've thought about other powers, but I've come to like this one the most.

No comments: