January 18, 2009

Snow day

Today was a snow day in the city. Even as I write tonight, it is snowing again. The boys were generally in good spirits today, but it is hard for them to be inside so much. It is hard for me to get them in and out off snow suits too much.

This morning we cooked in breakfast, well, DH decided he was going to cook. He started pulling out supplies, asking me where various things were, and the boys rushed the kitchen to cook. DH announced, "everyone out of the kitchen!" Like that was going to happen.

With the step ladder out, I helped the boys on with their aprons and set them up to do things DH needed for his omelet making. One obvious task was breaking eggs and DS2 showed us that he has been watching. He held the bowl in one and cracked the egg on the opposite rim of the bowl. But, then he crushed the egg in his hand once it was cracked. I tried to tell/explain/show him not to crush, but three eggs later he still had not digested the message. DS2 then demonstrated. But I honestly think the crushing action will take a bit of time to correct.

DS1 is taking swim lessons, and the place where he takes his lesson has family swim on Sundays. We all headed to the pool today. DS2 really hasn't been in a pool since China. He was intrigued and wants to follow DS1 anywhere and everywhere. However, he was a bit intimidated by the pool at first. He clung to me for the first 10 minutes. But as he looked around and saw everyone playing, and no fellow clingers, and he acquiesced into really having fun.

DS1 is swimming a good 10 feet now; as far as one breath will take him, as he hasn't figured out the breathing part. DS1 would float on his back, which he does well with no support, and DS2 would want to try. DS1 would swim and DS2 would reach out ready to try. I love the bravado, maybe that is not the right thought, but at least the inspiration that watching DS1 brings to DS2.

There was an Asian woman there swimming laps when we first arrived. She stopped and watched me with DS2 for quite some time. I was tempted to try and chat with her, but I didn't. Trying to have an informal chat quietly is impossible in a public pool with a child splashing in your arms. I don't know what she thought or why she chose to watch. I'm going to assume it was because I look so awesome in my swim suit and DS2 and I's skin color matches so well. It is not often that I feel like we are drawing any significant attention beyond what cute kids draw, but there was a story in this woman's look. A story that I don't know.

And one more new step for DS2 today, he really enjoyed taking a shower with me after the swim. So far he has been content to watch me shower. He does love the bathtub. He also has had a shower or two with either DH or I holding him, but he till now has been very reluctant (screaming) that we do not put him down in the shower. Today, he was willing to let my body block the water and reach around me to touch it. I was surprised, but when I turned it off, he asked for it back on.

These are all simple things, breaking (really crushing) an egg, stepping up to the pool challenge and accepting a shower. But his willingness to try has improved. He didn't even have to be cajoled from screaming and tears to participation. He needed slight cajoling on the pool, but there were no tears involved. I'm amazed at the progress. So often I feel like the progress is minimal, but then there is a day like today where I wonder how long this child has been waiting to reveal himself. We are getting there.

2 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Please know that I'm celebrating all your son's milestones with you. I can't wait to finally meet next October.

Nicole said...

YAY! Go DS2!!! The progress the children make is amazing... and it just continues. You are doing a great job giving him so many different opportunities. Like Kim said, I can't wait to see you in October!!