While in San Fran, I had a few hours off for which I planned a trip to Chinatown. It was just a couple blocks from my hotel. I had done my Internet searches for the main streets and the key points of interest. Overall I found the guide books kept tourist in the highly touristy areas and out of the daily life of San Fran’s Chinatown. There were only nick-knack shops and tacky expensive restaurants.
As I do when I'm out doing photo shoots of new locations, I started following a little old lady with shopping bags. I find the same old lady around the world; the skirt just below the knee in a shade of grey or black, flat back orthopedic shoes, baggy hose, sweater of a solid and dark color (even in the summer) and a body that is perfectly cylinder is shape.
While the main heart of San Fran Chinatown runs along two main streets, basic grid system, she, my unknowing tour guide, was veering into various alleys for little things; fruit one place, fish another. I ventured into a tiny shop, a small as my my kitchen, that was selling the red scrolls for Chinese New Year. There where hundreds and with many different Chinese characters. An older woman was tending the shop. I said "Ni Hou", she returned in generally clear English, “hello”.
I asked if all the scrolls were for Chinese New Year. She said yes and wanted to know if I wanted to bring good fortune and wealth in the New Year. Yes, please. But add happiness, health and love to the mix please. She went to work on identifying the best scrolls for me. A man who looked to be 500 years came in and they exchanged pleasantries in Mandarin and both started discussing the best scrolls. In the end, they thought I should add wealth to my message also. The old man, without speaking English, explained that the one in the middle must be hung in the diamond position, not square. And upside down would welcome the opportunities to me, but right side up was ok as well. The whole process took over 20 minutes. I braced myself and asked how much……$1.80.
American Express, I love your commercials, but; an experience to remember, care by others put into my future and attracting the right karma, joy in watching a thousand year old tradition, and getting to participate,……$1.80, paid in cash.
2 comments:
Wow... great deal!!! I hope this year brings all those things to you!!!
May good luck, abundance and great fortune come to your family! I'm ready for a year filled with less doctors and more normalcy.
Post a Comment