Did you know you can sell anything on EBay? I didn't and now I'm rather excited about it!
Last weekend I started cleaning closets. Motivated by Chinese New Year. While its been too cold to drag the boys to Chinatown, I'll likely make a trip myself this week and pick up dragons, red scrolls (the ones from San Fran are already up) and other assorted Chinese New Year stuff (I also have yet to break out the dragon kite we picked up when we picked up DS2). There are a few Chinese New Year traditions I really like; (1) you must clean to celebrate the New Year so the bad spirits leave, (2) also use firecrackers or bang pots, which the boys will do at some point to get the spirits movint and (3) the house should be filled with aspicious flowers. With these, you start the year in order and attract good fortune.
I also like that Chinese New Year is a celebration for 2 weeks. The Chinese take the celebration very serious. The manufacturing shuts down and everyone heads off to be with family. Even my new toy production is suspended for two weeks as my factor is shut for the holiday. It oddly makes me happy that I'm supporting the leave for the New Year and not imposing Western scheduling. I like that there is two weeks to think about attracting good fortune and clearing out the muck.
So, I attacked the closets in the order of those that I could no longer enter. I guess you need a slight explanation. We live in a pre-war building, built in 1938. (another day I might explain the ghost of Marge, the prior tenant that I quite like) Prior to WWI, apartments in NYC had closets. During the war, it was decided that the richest people had the most closets; a tax was enacted inwhich you paid according to how many closets you had. In NYC apartment buildings built in the 20 years post WWI had no closets. Thus one of the attractions to pre-War.
We have closets; 2 in the boys room, 2 in our room, 3 in the entry/pantry and an emergency exit we have coverted into the broom closet. All are walk-in closets. When I can't walk into a closet, it is really overflowing or completely messy. Ours was a combination of both. And a DH that is unable to throw anything out, so I do it when him and the boys are not looking.
Well, it was time for the crib, the bassenet, our first stroller (with basenet attachment), a play "yard" (yeah, these were politically incorrectly called "play pens" when I was growing up), and assorted bibs and burp clothes that I thought I'd give away (Nicole expect a package). DH eyes lit up, it all went on Ebay, and today it all sold for >$1,000! I love to give things to charity, but hey, we got some folks got a good deal on some high end stuff that we abused for 2-3 years that is bringing back in about half their value, and I'm not yet bringing in an income. All good!
So, Happy New Year! And I've just listed some Gucci rain boots that I bought in a moment of peer pressure that I've only worn four times!
No comments:
Post a Comment