December 10, 2008

Ears Have It

Just a quick update. DS2 and I went to the ENT (Ears, Nose and Throat) doctor today and it went well. I really liked the guy, he is with NYU, so if anyone needs a recommendation in NYC, give me a holler.

The good news, and bad news. DS2 is hearing "normally" meaning volume or decibels. He hears to 30 decibels and really should be hearing down to 15, but for a cleft kid this is normal. However, his ears are full of water, which the doctors sees as having no ventilation, which means this has been a problem for more than a year. This wasn't diagnosed by the pediatrician as they couldn't see past the wax which was removed today - about 1/2 inch in each ear. Again the Dr. said this had been there for years and I wouldn't have reached it in normal cleaning. DS2 was a trooper about removal. He sat in my lap very still and seemed relieved when it all came out. I think it relieved some pressure. He liked it so much he asked the doctor to look in his nose too.

The Dr. says the water has to come out. While he can hear sounds, the water stops the differentiation of sounds. For example, it is unlikely he can hear the difference between "p", "b", and "d". So speech acquisition is clearly affected. To remove the water, we are putting in ear tubes. About 95% of all cleft palette kids need this during childhood. It is an operation, but a quicky. The doctor says it takes 12 minutes, but DS2 still has to be fully sedated, in recovery for an hour post, and then loopy for the rest of the day. We are scheduled for December 30th.

The Dr. also thought he hasn't had chronic infections as the canal was not particularly swollen or irritated. This is all good. But everyone (meaning those who get paid) are nervous about the insurance coverage, because now I'm moving temporarily to COBRA. Should be a fun game on this one.

This coming Monday I have the "hearing" on what type of therapy and how many sessions a week DS2 is going to receive from early intervention. It is good he tested poorly upfront, as this means he may get more rather than less. With therapy coming on board, at the same time as ear tubes go in, I'm rather hopeful that we can have enough speech progression to know how he's doing by March 2009 when I have to put in the reservation for preschool. Amazing how it all goes together!

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Please know that I've been thinking about you all day. I'm so glad you posted updates. It all sounds very reassuring. I hope you feel some sense of peace.