December 08, 2008

The Joy of Mondays






Today we are home.  But I am posting a few more beach photos as I wish it were still 80 degrees rather than the current 35 degrees.  When we arrived on Saturday night it was actually snowing in the city.  What a contrast!

The boys did not want to leave the beach but on Sunday they really spent the day basking in the comfort of the apartment, their familiar surroundings and their toys.  As usual, DH and I treated the weekend as suspension of any other life and continued to focus on the boys.  However, after they were in bed, DH commented that he was looking forward to getting back to work.  It was a comment that sounded so familiar.  In all my years on the Street, I have heard almost all my male colleagues at least once comment that the reason they secretly loved Mondays, was because being around the kids all weekend was too exhausting.

Well, its Monday, and I'm not going back to the job.  I'm working, but my own work, and its exciting.  It is also interesting to work from home.  The "office" is not set up, I have too many other important things to get done before sorting out a desk.  I had the opportunity to make eggs and bacon for the boys before they started their day.  I had a cup of tea before opening emails.  But I got a lot done.  I created a website today for my consulting business!  Also I got to see the kids at lunch time, and DS1 even "tried" to take a nap in my office while I worked.  

This afternoon DS2 had his preschool interview, which went well although he was the only non-verbal child there.  Wednesday is his ENT appointment for the hearing test - I still think his hearing is fine.  Also next week is the meeting for early intervention services.  I received their summary of findings; it was heart breaking.  He's significantly behind on speech and in their opinion on following directions well on multi-step tasks.  But this is all good as this implies more therapy rather than less.  But I hate to see that he is behind, but it was also in my face at the preschool visit amongst 5 other 2 year olds, which is why it may be so present on my mind at the moment.

The policy in NYC is that if you have one child in a preschool, the second is grandfathered in, such that you really only go through the motions of applying.  However, if DS2 is not ready, I may have to delay him by a year.  But by the time school starts, he will have had 8 months of early intervention services, so I am hopeful I can keep him with his age appropriate peers.  But time will tell.  The orphanage took care of him and got him to me, which I am thankful for.  But on days where I see the delays, I really went get disappointed at his early care and wish the system could be changed.

2 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Welcome home. I've enjoyed following your mini get-away. Hang in there with getting back into a routine and your upcoming appts with DS2. Keep us posted on his hearing tests. We're starting to gear up for Josie's hand surgery. Yippee.

Stacy said...

Hey Ang,
BTW, Brie is in the 3 year-old room, even though she will be five in January at daycare. She is right in the mix with them, and many of them are bigger than she is.
The big issue will be next Sept, when she is actually in with other kids who are five and six.

Congrats on DS2's "delayed" status...you'll get tons of services to catch him up in NO TIME!!!