At the zoo today, I saw something I truly have NEVER seen before. We saw an animal escape!
The zoo in St. Maartin is a bit lovely and decrepit all rolled into one. There is a snake room and a bat cave, along with a lot, a lot, of parrots, Macaws and monkeys, but few other animals; turtles, bunnies, goats, and a couple raccoons. Some of the exhibits are no longer open, the walk through area with ducks, although the ducks can still be seen from the outside. The indigenous animals sneak in as well; rats, lizards and iguanas. There actually is an official spot for the lizards, turtles and iguanas although they seem to have free reign of the whole zoo.
So we were walking over toward the iguanas, and I told DS1, "look one is on a post". This is the post where at one time there was a plaque that said the proper name of the animal, but the plaque is missing. As DS1 ran to the iguanas, the thing lept from the post to the viewing wall, to the ground and ran! It was an escape! Wow. I had my camera up and focused on the creature when it was on the post, but I was so shocked the thing could leap a good 3 feet from a standing still position on the post I simply didn't thing to pull the trigger on the camera. I was shocked by the whole event. Wow. Really, the whole episode reminds me that if you believe, then anything is possible!
1 comment:
Too cool in a creepy and exciting sort of way. Great pics.
PS. We have 10 inches of snow and it's in the teens...brrr. I'm insanely jealous of you right now.
Post a Comment