November 12, 2008

Elections - late but thoughts won't go away.

OK, for ages I've thought about writing about the elections. First, I was going to write to tell everyone to vote. But, I didn't want to say who to vote for, I just think its good to participate. But, I didn't know how to write my thoughts without offending anyone.

Then I wanted to say, "YEAH!" I'm so relieved. But again I didn't want to offend anyone.

I mentioned it do DH and his usual response to my comments about the blog arose. First, "you still writing that?" Then, "well, what does that have to do with adoption?" and finally, "Why do you care if you offend anyone?". Got to love this man.

Well, I thought about it and I can't let it go. Here's the background. I am Puerto Rican. My beautiful blond-haired blue-eyed olive-skinned son knows how to say all his animals in Spanish. My beautiful jet black-haired, black-eyed, dark-skinned son, will always stand out as not the all-American look. My once-blond, now graying- haired, blue-eyed WASPy husband is becoming a minority! That makes my heart sing. I am also a semi-senior woman on Wall Street - that may qualify me as a greater minority than any thing else!

I tell my husband during a variety of "social issue" fights, he likes to call them discussions, that he'll never know what it is like to walk down the street as a woman. I understand the odd feeling of walking around a foreign country and standing out as different. I also know what it is like in Italy and Spain where I can blend, although I don't belong. And I never forget who I am; I seldom think I fit in. Hey in Idaho, where I grew up, there were no other Puerto Ricans. Now that I'm surrounded by them in New York, I am not one of them, as I lack the language and the urban experience. These are not regrets, not at all, just the facts.

One of my sons is going to walk around and realize few look like him. Frankly, I think both of them will notice this fact. Do we really want to live in a society where the majority of people believe that only white men can achieve the highest office (be it the White House or the corner office)? Do I want to live in a society where we say anyone can achieve anything, but it hasn't occurred yet? I think the empowerment of people, whatever their color, is a good thing for society as a whole. Obama offers that! Even the Latinos around me now say, hey, if a Black man can do it, then watch out as the Latinos move in.

I am not a proud American. I seldom claim to be an American. I've traveled around the world, I know what a fabulous place the US is - do you realize that less than 10% of Americans actually have a passport! I know how horrible the situation is elsewhere and I chose to stay in the US (at least for now. But, I have not been proud to claim participation in this country. I've been horrified by our international policies, and even more horrified by our domestic policies. Do you realize it is still on the books that Asian are not allowed to own land in certain states/counties - left over from the depression/immigration scares, but still on the books. I'm also saddened that the Gay Marriage votes were so opposed. Marriage is a huge commitment that is really hard and sucks in many ways, (yes, I'm happily married), yest we are willing to let immature teenagers do it but not adults in a committed relationship?
But, right now I couldn't be happier. Maybe for a while I'll be proud of my fellow Americans. Not for "overcoming prejudice" but for realizing we are in a mess, we need change and we need it now. If having a Black man in office makes people more aware of prejudice, not just the need for change, well, its a good thing!
So, Thank you for voting. I don't care who you voted for (my guy won, so no hard feelings), but you cared enough to participate, that is awesome, that is what America needs, so let's keep participating! Let's go for change. We have to offer our children something to work with, not a disaster to fix. So yeah, its about the kids! I created one citizen and sponsored a new citizen this year, and we owe them better.

1 comment:

Chris said...

My how the world changes...thinking Idaho here. I now live in this place where quite often I could feel like a minority if it was something I really paid attention to and many of my favorite local events involve these "minorities" and their cultures and in attending those I am definitely the minority and I revel in it. All of the once "minority populations" have grown so much here that there are many situations and places I am the minority. A far cry from the days when I took your brother to Grangeville and I know everyone thought he was black! As a woman who has only as an adult researching her heritage had the privilege of finding out her Great Grandmother was American Indian and has had serious relationships with a Puerto Rican man, a black man and a Chinese man and never felt singled out or ostracized or felt any prejudice in any situation except maybe the gawking in my tiny home town 20 plus years ago, in this election race never crossed my mind except as the media brought it into play. I did not vote for anyone's race and quite frankly know no one of any race that did unless they are closet racists...I voted for the candidate I felt best suited to help this country turn around. Not that either of them can do that of their own accord...they do set the tone and the world as a whole looks to us for what that tone is like it or not. Quite frankly on different levels both candidates scared the hell out of me...still as a citizen it is my duty and right to share my voice and participate in what our country is and becomes and it is a privilege to do so as well. For the most part I am very proud of this country and what we have achieved. Some of its citizens and their actions I find very appalling! So as I look ahead to our new President taking the helm I pray that he goes down in history as a great man and great president who led this country to greatness as well. This is his job...it is every citizens job and looking for anything else would only be counter productive to achieving those goals!