November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

As it is Thanksgiving week, I've thought of one more story to share.  Years ago, and I do mean years ago, I was around 15 years old and my mom and I went to some arts and craft type gathering of church women. I remember the preacher's wife had organized it.  After our activities, and I don't remember what we made, maybe a quilt, we made a circle, held hands, and the preacher's wife said we should share something for which we were thankful.  The first thought through my head was, "I'm glad I'm alive."  

 

This "thanks is not terribly specific, but it was my first thought.  Maybe its even selfish.  But really, it's all encompassing.  I have had highs and lows, good and bad, marriage, divorce and marriage.  And still, I'm generally happy to be alive.  There are people that I am thankful for having known, people who I'd like to forget but still taught me something, and people I have forgotten, but contributed along the way.  There are things I've done that I am proud of, but there is a longer list of things I would still like to do, and a very long list of things I would like to improve about myself.  I am amazed by the people in and around my life.  I am amazed by other people that I have never known, but only read about.  Some days I'm not sure I have the life I want, or wanted, but generally, I'm glad to be alive and to have the chance to do something.  I know I still have more to do.  So no thanks for anything specific, just thanks for the opportunity to be and to try.  I will take this opportunity to try my best; for the kids, for my family, for me, for the world.  I'm sorry I'm so selfish, but this is where I am.

No comments: