November 16, 2008

Fibbing



I noticed this weekend that I've been lying to the kids to get my way.  First, I decided it was time to cut DS2's hair.  It is finally growing!!  Which is his body finally surrendering to all the nutrition we've been pumping in.  At first I was worried about the lack of hair growth, but I figured it was pretty low on the physical priority scale of how calories are used.  In the last 3 plus months, he has grown 1 inch and gained about 4 lbs.  That's a 25% gain in body weight in one month.  Ok, if he was my size that would be horrendous, but in him, at his size, with his history, it just tells us the state of nutrition he was in before joining us.

On to lying, I turned to DS1 and said, I'd like you to sit on the stool, I'm going to pretend to cut your hair, but I'm not actually going to cut it.  DH was sitting in the kitchen at the time and shot me his now patented look that seems to say, "you are crazy, but I'm too afraid of you to tell you that".  DS1 was in on the game.  I told him, I wanted to cut DS2's hair but I knew he'd want to do it if I did him first.  Of course, DS1 actually doesn't like to have his hair cut, but was totally willing as long as I didn't actually cut his hair.  Well, about a good long 4 minutes into pretending, DS2 was begging to get his done.  The next day, today, I used DS2's bravery as the reason DS1 should let me cut his hair.  Unexpectedly, that worked too.   

Tonight, both of the boys' skin was looking a bit dry.  DS2 is totally cool with lotions and moisturizers, but DS1 screams and cries as if I was trying to fillet him.  Also with sun tan lotion, which always makes me feel like a bad mommie at the beach when he starts screaming, "stop your hurting me" and people sneer. But this summer I found the spray on sun screens, which change the dynamic greatly.  Now, as he's running and screaming "your hurting me", while I chase him with spray in hand, spraying everywhere.  I waste a lot of sun screen, but now the prying eyes tend to laugh at us.

Well tonight, I told him his skin was dry and we need to put moisturizer on it.  He started crying and pushing, etc, you get the scene. Then I said, how about olive oil from the kitchen, "because I here that not only helps your skin but makes your muscles grow".  This worked.  Both boys naked and a bottle of olive oil going everywhere.  Get the pajamas on was hard!

The other lie I'm routinely guilty of, "oh, honey, I don't know where that toys is.  I haven't seen it for ages."  After something annoyed me and found its way to the trash shoot.  Just thought of another, someday someone will catch us eating "rabbit poop" or blueberries.  Maybe that one is just fibbing, because I don't think they believe me.

So over all, I'm not lying about big stuff.  They've been told where babies come from.  DS1 was a cesarean, so I followed his prompting to have a discussion about how big the knife was.  DS2 knows he's adopted and from China, and part of our family, as does DS1 understand the relevant details.  And the boys have been told I'll be working from home more often - I'll be working, just now sure when the pay check is coming.  

But it is funny, I don't lie much.  Which means I don't lie well.  When it comes to the boys I seem to be a bit super sensitive about telling them lies.  But in general, I really don't like to lie and don't bother to try.  But I am sticking with the fact that I am a super hero (and can beat up all the bad guys), there is a Santa (as well as a man in the sky that turns the sun off at the end of the day, and tiny elves that live in the tops of the trees that come down at night and move the pumpkins from the field to the store - I didn't start this one, but I'm supporting DH in his folly) and my super power is imagination.  I wonder what they will feel comfortable lying about?

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I think as Mother's we learn how far we can push the little white lie. It's downright necessary on some occasions. Reverse psychology often works magic in our house too. I LOVE the haircut lie. It's brilliant.