Tonight, I let the boys watch a little Wallace and Gromit. If you don't know it, it is awesome British claymation. There was a chase scene playing and I was sitting across from the boys watching them as they watched the video. DS1 was giggling with his eyebrows arched in wide arches. DS2 was watching with eyebrows in upside down "v"s as if he was thinking, what is this idiocy. I thought wow, how much they will learn from each other in the years to come as they start sharing their perspectives on the world.
I also marvel at the comparison of third world travel to not. We are in our villa with wi-fi, lizards running by, but clean floors, working refrigerator and air conditioning, real air conditioning. The boys are sleeping in one bed together, which DH and I pulled of the box springs to the floor, just in case anyone rolls out. I think if they find a lizard, we'll hear about it.
DS2 was a struggle all day of travel. He wasn't really "bad" just fussy and wanting to be held the whole time. I think there are fears in an internationally adopted child that are hard to address. His last plane trip, was his exit from China. And here we are bringing him to another interesting, but vastly different place again. New smells, new foods, new language. No wonder he wants to be held. However, he seems to have no problem flirting with the French women!
It is also interesting to be on vacation while unemployed. I'm too sensitive to cost. Frankly, the more I focus on it, the poorer I feel. Which means I need to be wise to a budget, but not so intense as to suck the fun out of it. However, tomorrow to the grocery store, which I love here. It has all these brands I don't know, but enough for the boys that I do know. And to the beach, to bring color back to this Puerto Rican soul. Yeah, sun screen for the boys, and a shirt for DH.
1 comment:
Wallace & Gromit are favorites in our house too.
Shelve the guilt about your trip expenses. Life will get crazy again soon enough with the approaching holidays. I can't wait to see pictures of the fabulous scenery.
Post a Comment