The questions come from DS1 when I least expect them. Tonight, "when will he stop being Chinese?"
I was wondering where this even came from, but I think I know. Today I picked up DS1 from pre-school and took him out to lunch and, the most exciting thing, to pick up a water filter for the refrigerator. He told everyone we were going for the filter. I'm constantly amazed at what the boys find exciting in our daily lives. Well, after school we stopped by this little pizza joint; the kind that are 20 feet long but only 8 feet wide. There we ran into one of his class mates and her mommie. The little girl was excited that next week they are going to "Kazakhstan to get a little brother." Zander was happy to share that he got a little brother in China. This is a conversation that I couldn't have made up, the kind of crazy unexpected thing that makes me happy we live in NYC.
This evening we were all playing, and I was feeling sorry for myself, thinking I hate the stuff coming out of my mouth; please don't throw the toys, don't step on your brother's head, don't bite me, be nice, do you want to go to bed right now? But we also have fun - or at least flashing moments of it!
Well, DS1 typically comes out of the tub first. I dry him, dress him and then DS2 is ready and wants the same attention. We are passed screaming every time I take him out of the tub (YEAH!) and now he even pulls the plug for the water when asked. So tonight DS1 was watching my dress DS2 when I commented that it is ok for DS1 to wear short sleeves, because he stays under the covers, but for DS2, I put on the full warm sleep suit because he still kicks the covers off. I mentioned that this suit used to be DS1's. This of course prompted, "when will DS2 be big?" Me, "Well, over time as he eats, by next year the suit will likely not fit." I thought I heard, "When will he stop being tiny?", so I said "he's not tiny, but he is smaller than you." To which I was then more loudly asked, "No, when will he stop being Chinese?"
Kind of threw me for a loop. "Honey, he's going to be Chinese forever. It's like you are a boy, he's a boy and I'm a girl. You are going to be boys and I'm going to be a girl, forever". Hopefully the transsexuals will forgive me for the presumption. This answer was good enough, no more questions emerged. But wow, what a question.
No comments:
Post a Comment