November 25, 2008

Losing a Tail

There are things that shouldn't happen in front of an almost four year old.  Yesterday afternoon we were getting ready to leave for somewhere, I don't remember, when DS2 decided it was the opportune moment to make a big poopie.  Well, DH strapped DS1 into the car seat in the car and DS2 and I ran inside for a quick change.  When I went to throw out the diaper, there was a lizard on the edge of the tub.  I grab DS2 to show him.  We scared the poor lizard and it fell into the tub.

Once in the tub, and in a slight panic, the lizard was unable to crawl out.  I caught it, truly not a fair battle, and lifted it out by its tail.  DS2 was a bit delighted and horrified, but willing to touch it.  I didn't want DS1 to miss out, so I ran out to the car with the lizard.  He was amazed, "mommie, the lizard queen".  I gave the lizard to DH to show DS1, by the tail, and ran back inside to finish my work.  When DS2 and I got out to the car, we heard quite a tale. 

Apparently, the lizard's tail broke off, and the little guy was still in the care somewhere.  This turn of events made me sad.  But I figured the little lizard was ok and alive.  However, a tale breaking off in front of an almost four year old is not a good thing; it elicits a lot of questions.  Where did it go? Will it grow a new tail? Can you put the tail back on? Does he need it? Why did the tail come off? Does it want to go to the beach? How did you catch it? Why can't you catch it now? etc.

Well, there is a happy ending, this morning, I first opened the drivers door, to open the trunk.  Our rental car is from the 1960s with only a pull for the trunk and catch this, a cassette player!  I threw our bag in the trunk and opened the other side back door for DS1.  He said, " Hey, there is our lizard!"  Sure enough the little guy was unmistakable with the missing 2 inches from his tail, sitting on the head rest of the front seat.  We scared him out the open drivers door.  This made me Happy.  He was alive; he's back were he belongs; I'm confident he will grow a new tail!

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

You must post a picture of your amazing tail-less lizard. What a hysterical adventure.