November 24, 2008

Adoption on Vacation




While we are at home, people look, some ask questions, all our friends and family know; DS2 is adopted.  But on vacation it seems funny, in the funny odd way, that it comes up.  So far so good, just funny. But I guess this too is a sign that DS2 is starting to become less "Chinese" looking to me, just "kid" looking.

First, we have a place we go to every year for our beach toys.  This year we came in and the store guy was totally attracted to DS2.  He asked if he was Chinese, Korean or Vietnamese.  This made me pause, because clearly he was saying the big three Asian adoption locals.  It turned out his sister runs an agency that helps people adopt from Vietnam.  He was excited to meet DS2, who only wanted to hit me with the beach shovel and keep everyone at bay with the rake.  When I mentioned he had cleft lip/palette, he said "I'd noticed".  This was  a first for me.  Most people don't notice, but he knew what he was looking for.  Overall a positive experience. 

Yesterday we were on a small boat out to an island.  And a woman was trying to figure out how old DS1 was.  I said he's almost 4 and the little guy is 2.  She asked, "are they both yours?"  I said, yes.  She said, "interesting."  It was odd, but she was French, with a thick accent, so I decided something might have been lost in translation. 

Today we were on a known to be kid-friendly beach.  Even if you walk out about 100 yards, it is still only 3 feet deep.  A bigger family group joined us, sitting in the seats by us.  They kept looking at me and DS2 (DS1 and DH were way, way out in the water jumping off a raft).  Finally they started talking to us.  Very nice people from Tennessee.  But it became clear I was doing a "good Christian" thing.  This always catches me off guard.  I don't mind people saying "God bless you"; I will take all the blessing I get, from any one or being.  What I find interesting is that this one act, having DS2 in my life makes me bless-able.  I mean hey, there are people who adopted in a less transparent manner than me.  And isn't just trying to raise a kid, any kid including the biologically derived type worthy of being blessed.  Finally, I was raised Christian, but I'm still a sinner in so many ways, and no longer willing to associate my spirituality with any organized religion, is my adoption choice really a "good Christian" act.  I am raising him to be a heathen.  If they knew more would I be un-blessed?  

Anyway,  the boys are having fun.  DS1 is out in the water, bouncing, jumping, swimming with too little fear for me to be comfortable.  DS2 likes sitting on the beach and digging.  When I get him to dig down at the surf line, he gets really mad at the waves.  It makes me laugh.  DS1 is too charged to nap until the end of the day, in the car. Typically out before the end of the parking lot. DS2 crashes after food and a poop, fairly reliably. Up playing one minute, out stone cold the next.  I've always thought beach naps are the best, all that fresh salt air coming being breathed deeply in.

Yesterday, everyone was grumpy, today was great.  There is something about the surf I find so soothing, that work/real life has to fight to stay in my mind. This may be a good thing for a few days. On to tomorrow.

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm loving the pictures and have to admit I'm insanely jealous. We got snow all day in West Michigan yesterday. That beautiful sand looks magnificent. Soak it all in for me.