April 29, 2009

The World Opens at 4


  • At four years old, you are tall enough for almost all the rides at Coney Island, and still young enough to want to ride them.
  • At four, you are getting the gist of following instructions, playing together and the concept of "team work" on projects.
  • At four, your attention span lengthens enough to do "big boy" things; go to a movie, sit through an orchestra performance, or the ballet.
  • At four, you can talk! Talk well enough that you are not immediately dismissed but people sincerely try to understand what you are saying/thinking.
  • At four, you are out of boosters and can sit through a meal. Although you are still quite content to have a game or crayons around as well.
  • At four, you are proud not only of your own accomplishments, but of others. You can be happy for a friend, you can be proud of a parent, your world has expanded a bit beyond just yourself.
I've never been a "baby" person. I've always known that from the age of about 2 on there is a lot of magic in children. But seeing age 2 vs. age 4, wow, what a difference. It makes me excited about seeing age 5 and 6. But it also makes me excited to see our 2 year old grow into age four.

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Beautiful post. Just wait to you hit age 10 and 11!

PS. Josie has chicken pox even with the vaccine. What the heck!!

Anonymous said...

My kids are 12, 15 and 16 and they are all still happy to have crayons when we go out to eat. Some things just never get old I guess. :-)

Chris said...

I second never growing out of crayons! My daughter graduates from High School in 3 weeks and we just bought coloring books and crayons for her Performance Choir trip to Disneyland! Okay heck I turn 45 on Saturday and I still love to color in them too!