Yelling, Spanking, Hitting. There is worse, but these are the big uglies of parenting for me.
I yell. I've been yelling a lot less lately. I don't think it is good to yell at the kids. A lot of my yelling is just trying to get their attention. This particularly drives me crazy. I don't like having to yell over them to let them know that, "I AM BESIDE YOU, YOU DON'T NEED TO YELL". Which every time I get to that point I want to cry.
When it was just my older son, he understood the hand signal of pushing down as meaning, lower the volume. But with two, they just wind each other up until I'm no longer able to breath. I will take any suggestions on this front. I've moved to just covering my ears until they notice I'm not happy. While I like this solution, it does not work in a crowded environment - i.e., the dinner. This weekend my little man was yelling, just for fun, just because he thought he could in a restaurant. I told him to stop. I put my hand to my lips. I put my hand to his lips. Nothing worked. I finally turned his high chair away from the table and said more loudly than I should, "you want to sit with THOSE people? You really want to sit with THOSE people? Because no one sitting at this table is going to yell. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE!" He quickly quieted and told me "No", as in no I don't want to sit with those people.
Afterward, he sat quietly, not an angel, but quietly, so I was happy. I overheard a table nearby saying that they thought they weren't the worst with whom to have to sit. And on the way out, the waiter who hasn't really chatted with us in the 10 years we have been going there talked to my husband as I was getting the kids dressed. Outside my husband said the waiter complemented me on taking control and being strict with the kids. He said he has tons of regulars that don't ever discipline there kids in public. So my freak out in a loud, although not the at home yell, received a compliment. Frankly, I think there must be a better way. Yeah, parenting sucks.
On spanking. I've never been a fan. The whole bending over and smacking bottoms "when daddy gets home" is entirely too late. The smacking bottoms at the scene of the crime has never worked for me, because at that point I'm too close to really wanting to cause harm. The smacking a hand is an interesting in between. It is still "hitting" but it is much more limited. Nonetheless, I avoid it. I work in the kitchen with the boys a lot. This is the arena where I have used the hand-taps. Even after being told the knife is sharp and they can't touch it, even after a yell "no", the boys are so shocked if I hand tap, or even the air tap to the hand, the action brings on dismay and shock, then tears from them. With hot, I say "hot", then if they reach (and its not a boiling pot of water) let them reach and learn on their own. However, with knives, I'm not willing to let them cut themselves. And I'm not kicking them out of the kitchen, so suggestions welcomed.
On hitting. Wow, hitting is just a don't go there item. I understand wanting to hit. I remember, "If you don't stop crying I'll give you something to cry about". But I understand the desire to hit. Today the little man took an entire time out in screams. Yeah, I could have hit him if that was what it would take for him to stop screaming because he was in time out for multiple request to stop throw the play dough. Instead, I finally picked him up and put him in my bedroom and closed the door until I calmed down. The joy of two kids is that one gets crazy and the other wants you to keep playing as if the other wasn't in the room. Yeah, this wasn't a great solution as he went hysterical alone in the room to the count of 10, well, really the count of 30 because it took three tries for me to feel calm. But by the time I opened the door he was ready to stop throwing. But I wonder, does putting him in a safe place until I calm down cause harm as well? Parenting sucks.
So tonight the uglies, yelling which I'm doing less and less, spanking which has never been a choice, and hitting which I totally understand but have a strong stand against is on my mind. I get it. I just wish none of them were necessary. I wish none of them were being modeled to me on the play ground; I saw a kid slap on the play ground today so hard that I was stunned to silence along with everyone else within a 30 foot radius. I wish I had perfect children and was a perfect mom. Unfortunately, I'm not.
Video with the Girls
14 years ago
5 comments:
Thanks for putting it out there. Even if I don't talk about it on the blog, I struggle with those same parenting issues...sigh...
I think every parent struggles with those issues if they at all aware of parenting and trying to be a good one. Many just auto pilot or ignore these days it seems. I have to tell you I was the parent who insisted my child sit at the table and behave in the restaurant. Not everyone there is in love with or chose to be subjected to my child and there are appropriate manners to be learned in social settings. I got many dirty looks from my ticked off little toddler and youngster because of it. The result though..not long ago while eating in a restaurant with someone's children being allowed to run free and yell through the tables around us, my daughter looked at me and said "Thanks Mom! Now I understand why you never let me behave like that." You may not see the rewards until much later but they will be there and your children will appreciate that you took the time to be involved and care about how they grow up and the people they become and how you parent them in the process! That is love!!!!!!
Once again, you hit the nail on the head. I'm hoping you'll share any suggestions you get on this... I yell far too much, and it drives me nuts.
I've also gotten dirty looks from people... shortly after returning home with Katelyn, we all went out to dinner at a nearby restaurant. The boys were behaving quite nicely, but Katelyn was having a fit. She was still testing us and seeing how far she could push us... I ended up sitting her at a table (alone) across from where we were sitting and told her she was in time out. She shaped up rather quickly as she did not want to be separated from us. I could feel the stares and implied comments of "what's that big old white woman doing' to that little Chinese kid"... but sometimes we have to stick our ground.
We've taken a couple of steps back since her surgery... the little princess is trying to rule the roost again... so she's once again becoming familiar with the time out/cool down chair.
Nicole - as follow up, I once gave our older son a time out in a restaurant in Iceland. Iceland is very child friendly. But I put him at the bar and left him there with stern instructions to gather himself before rejoining us. After about ten minutes he did say he was ready. The restaurant watched us intently, and he was an angel when he returned to the table. And this is a country where they leave babies in the stroller outside shops so I didn't expect the condemnation received when I left him 10 feet from me in plain sight. But he was so blond and I'm so not, maybe they thought I had one of theirs.
Angela,
Awesome post and so true. I think any parent worth their salt constantly questions their parenting skills. Being an involved parent is so much harder than one who doesn't care. The good news is that one day our kids will remember and know we cared enough to love them.
I used to take my daughter outside when she misbehaved in restaurants. I get many compliments on how well behaved my kids are, but it comes at a price. I put the work in every day and hopefully it pays off when we are out in public.
I think many mamas struggle with yelling, spanking, etc. It's only the very brave that will say something out loud.
Post a Comment