April 24, 2009

Firemen

I believe there is a hormone that kicks in around 2 years of age that makes Firemen the center of your world. I'm convinced we all have it, but I think we chose to indulge in it at different levels.

When my first born became consumed with all things fireman, I went with it. Hey these guys are Heros, accessible and we have two stations (with 5 trucks between them and one dog) within walking distance of our house. The man in uniform just works for me, and I've always loved going to visit the station with the boys. When the little man joined us last summer, he really like to just touch the truck but nothing more. Well, hasn't life progressed! Now he can spot a firetruck, or the chief's SUV from 5 blocks away! Every time were here the siren, the boys start looking around/down the street to see the fireman.

My favorites though are:
-making cookies and taking them to the station
-when the kids beg and drag me to the station through bad weather and then getting so shy that I am the only one that talks to the firemen
-the odd occasion when I'm by myself and the truck goes by and I wave at it by auto-response (note the guys always wave back! I'm sure they think, "hey, wave at the crazy lady so she doesn't follow us")
-when the boys start asking a thousand questions about the truck/gear and the guys try to answer all the questions instead of trying to politely quell them.

But the event of the firemen coming to rule the day for our little man has made me appreciate that he now is following some of the development that our big boy passed. He's growing! It is happening. He's normal! Felt weird to type that, but yes, I want to know my kids are normal.

No comments: