A year ago, I really didn't worry about spending money on things. I didn't really balance the check book. I wasn't crazy (in my opinion) in my spending habits, but I didn't have to run a tight balanced budget. Today, things are different.
Now I'm not giving/donating as much to charities as I used to and I'm measuring our spending. The measuring doesn't bother me. I don't mind buying a cheaper brand of something, or not buying things I don't really need. I think spending less feels good. For me I feel more in tune with the world and creating less waste. However, the not giving really does bother me.
I have a few charities I like, that I have been a regular support of years, and I've pulled back. Unfortunately, I'm not alone. My favorite charities are all sending me really sad letters of how support has become tough to find due to the overall economic times and they hope, "regular donors like YOU can step up on their behalf." Yeah, knife in teh gut and twist.
A couple years ago I made a decision for the year that any extra money that happened my way I would give away. That was an amazing year. I came into all sorts of little extras and just passed them straight through to whomever jumped into my mind as someone that could use it. At work they had an anniversary lottery, and when it was announced, I just knew I would win. Amazingly I did. Everyone was asking how are you spending the money? I would just smile. It was funny I didn't want tell them I was giving it away. But, I told a few people and they were amused, dismayed, they didn't get it. However I believe I won because the cosmos pointed me to a few people/organizations that needed help that year. The prizes/money weren't ment for me.
So back to this year. Charity has been on my mind. A couple weeks ago was the worst; we went to a fund raiser for my son's school, the future school for both my boys. In addition to paying tuition which was just slightly less than the annual salary of my very first job post college, we were arm twisted into attending the annual benefit. A $300 per person benefit. This is a big ouch, when you are starting two businesses, one with income and one not likely to be profitable for another 6 months or more. Everyone was assigned auction paddle as we entered and the items being auctioned was amazing; a week in a ranch house in Montana for up to 19 people with full staff and guides; a box at Madison Square Garden for four persons for four different sporting events; a cooking lesson with Jean-Georges, etc. None of the items auctioned went for under $5,000. Several went for over $25,000. But the worse was they had an open bid, raise your paddle to receive nothing but donate money to the school. Last year, they would have got me on the open donation. This year I couldn't justify raising the paddle beyond our tuition, it made me sad, but it was prudent for the moment. Sucks.
So, I have a friend hosting an on-line fund raiser and frankly, it is not going well. Her goals are modest, and the money is just not happening. I'm not going to beg; I know our current environment. I know how we are all watching our bucks. And, I know there are some like me that try to save for our favorite charities rather than every charity from which we hear. However, I love the spirit of trying, and trying for a good cause, so I'm just going make you aware of one more worthy cause. http://gowerfam. blogspot.com/
Video with the Girls
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment