April 15, 2009

How Life Collides

"Collides" doesn't necessarily bring on a positive connotation, but I mean it in a positive way. This is the limitation of my small vocabulary, and lack of refined language skills on full display. Anyway, recently I've watched various parts of my life, that were always rather separate, collide. The result has generally been greater richness for the relationships for me, whether the other person was ready or not!

Yesterday, I started the spring/summer battle of window cleaning. I love it when our windows are clean and it feels like a tree house (we live on the second floor, which means we are in the trees, a feeling I love). But all winter, I let it go. There is no battle to fight in the winter time; the wind, rain, snow win because I'm not up for freezing while cleaning the windows, to have them get dirty again the next day. But by Spring, I want all the sun shine. I want a clear view of the park. I want the windows open. Well, to clean the living room windows I have to climb on the cadenza. This means getting out protective cardboard from the closet. With my Big boy helping me, we started pulling out the card board only to be greeted by one of New York's finest, a huge water bug about two inches long. It ran between two pieces of cardboard, but its antennae were sticking out, so we knew right were it was. If my lovely groom had been home, he'd had been called into action. However, he's away. So, drawing on the skills I've learned on the Wednesday noon kick boxing class. I clocked the boards with a direct strike. We heard the crunch! I am know officially a bug-kicker-killer according to the Big Boy!

This morning the little man woke me early. We had time to make popovers before the big guy needed to head to preschool (whom was still snoring in his bed), so he and I cooked. The popovers turned out great, but I had forgotten the speech therapist, with whom I haven't bonded but still respect, was coming over early. Well, even earlier than she had booked. So she joined us all for breakfast. First, she was impressed that we baked so early in the morning; did I mention she doesn't have children so doesn't really know what early in the morning is. Second, she hasn't hung with all of us to see how we interact on daily stuff. She hangs with the boys and does sound repetition. She was surprised at how good the popovers were, and how much the boys get into the routine, i.e., helping me set and clear the table, and she was stunned at how many words our little man attempts to use. I got to like her a bit better (anyone who compliments my cooking can't be all bad). And the little man got out of the usual routine of sounds to show her vocabulary.

Lastly, I've noticed a change in my daytime sitter. When I first lost my job and was around, she tried to keep the boys quiet and out of my way. Now she sees they just want to say "hi" and then will leave the office. She sees that I am working hard, or at least writing, not just hanging around the house. And I share with her if I have a big or small project going on and whether it is fun or not. I give her high-fives when consulting checks come in the mail. Now she tends to over-cook/over-buy for the boys at lunch and invites me to join them. I've noticed she's been turning on the dishwasher before she leaves in the late afternoon. I've noticed that she likes to hang and chat with me at lunch, just as much as the boys do. And yes, she has even started to eat breakfast on occasion with us. All I view in the most favorable way.

I've never been super strict about keeping work separate from play, separate from family; i.e., the blog is mostly about the boys/parenting. But now in the last few months with me home, the lines definitely have begun to blend. The toughest part is making sure I spend enough time on work. But I think life is becoming richer for the blending. I know I'm having fun.

No comments: