October 14, 2008

There are too many idiots on the road!

I have never felt comfortable in the car when my father is driving.  He's not a Terrible driver, but he is a terrible driver. Back when I lived at home, and we are decades ago,  he would yell at the other drivers and there always seemed to be a lot of idiots on the road when he was driving. Maybe he has improved, I don't know.

Tonight I went to a multi-cultural event at DS1's school.  It was billed as being songs, art and pizza, so I took both boys.  I figure we are a multi-cultural group; I'm Hispanic, and kind of look it, DS1 with Blue eyes is learning Spanish, and DS2 is Chinese, trying to learn English, and frankly even my English could use much improvement!  So we went, and it was an unbelievable disappointment.

When we got there I left the stroller on the street, yes, to those of you outside NYC, a stroller on the street in front of school is untouchable. I wouldn't leave in front of a store, but a school or playground, yes.  Well, at the playground I kept in eyesight because the squirrels are aggressive.  The janitor gave my boys big high fives and we all went in happy.  As we walked in and no one greeted us.  I asked a couple organizers if I was in the right place just to make small talk, they looked at me like I had the plague.  There was a gang of older kids, I'd guess 6-8 years old, running and wrestling in the middle of the room, which seemed pretty inappropriate to me.  So my guys and I sat down at the art table, but after we started painting with the glue, we were briskly informed that we were to wait until after the story.  DS1 was a bit crushed, but I told him it was my bad, not his.  

Ok, where's the story?  no story just kids running amuck. 

Finally story time started, which was very cool. They had this artist there who had illustrated a children's book.  While someone read the book, he was drawing on a large drawing pad where the kids could watch.  They were into it.  To my chagrin the book was like 4 pages long, which means this very cool and engaging activity was over in 5 minutes.  The book was about everyone having different type of hair.  I'm not sure DS1 was thrilled to discover DS1 and I had dark hair and he does not.  Additionally, while DS1 was willing to say I had curly hair, he and DS2 had wavy hair.  No conversation could make him change his mind, he was not going to be the only one with wavy hair. We were at the drawings, which everyone else had abandoned, talking about which drawing I looked like vs. DS2 vs. DS1, when one of the organizers asked me which of the boys was mine - yes, at a billed multi-cultural event!

At arts and craft, they were face shapes of different colors, but they looked like pumpkins to me.  Obviously, I said something that the organizers didn't appreciate and I was informed we were making faces, not pumpkins.  DS1 didn't like the tone and melted down to a face hide in my skirt, while DS2 alternated on pulling my hair and scratching me while I tried to keep him out of the glue.  

Next was pizza, which was not there, but "hang in there it should be here in 5 minutes". As the kids resorted to wrestling again, I gathered the boys and headed the hell out of there!  we went to the store, bought the ingredients (the Pilzbury pizza dough is pretty cool and only take 10 minutes in our oven) and made a pizza at home.  Now it is funny to me, but at the time it was not. But now the boys are asleep and I've had a couple glasses of wine. 

I don't think we'll be attending the next multi-cultural event unless I'm hosting it.  Cause there were too many idiots on the road tonight.

1 comment:

Chris said...

OMG Girl...I laughed so hard remembering your Dad's driving skills and antics! You're right though...everywhere we go there are too many idiots on the road and alot of them are voting in this election I'm afraid! Not that they aren't already running the country too! I'm sending you a present for the boys. I was in a store I love this weekend and there it was and it reminded me of one of your blogs I loved! I hope it has a place in your home. If not donate it somewhere it will!