October 29, 2008

Ode to Average

It's not like I want to set the bar low, but what is wrong with average?

Recently I've noticed everyone is striving to be exceptional, that's cool. Everyone is trying to give their kids the very best, that's cool. But when it comes to talking about life, admitting that you, or your spouse, or the kids, are not exceptional, its almost a crime.

I'm good at my job, I try to be exceptional, but not really. I know to be exceptional at my day job requires such a time commitment, that I wouldn't be a good mother or wife, or even happy person. I try to be a good mother, I would love to be exceptional at it, but reality is I'm still getting my arms around it all. And as I get one thing down, the kids mature so I'm behind again.

When it comes to the kids, I want them to be exceptional. But I also want them to be kids. DS1 is in preschool, but he still has trouble counting to five, he doesn't know his alphabet, and he doesn't know how to tie a bow. But you know what, he laughs when I make DS2's hair in a mohawk, he loves to have us read books, and loves cooking. He can break eggs, mix anything and even scoop ingredients into the bowl on his own. Yeah, I know how to brag, but exceptional? Nope, just wonderful and I love him.

DS2 is social, babbling constantly and now going to sleep on his own in a big boy bed! But still no real words, he still melts down/bites/hits when mad, and needs to be held when not in familiar territory. He's not exceptional, he's doing wonderful, is a good kid, And I love him.

So when my friends brag, I get jealous. Yes, there is a four year old in our crowd that is writing his name and can count to 20. Yes, there is a two year old in our crowd that challenges my vocabulary. Even the men are not immune to the competition; their game is the height and weight stats. All trying to be off the scale, "my kid is in the 105 percentile on height" but hey, this is one where exceptional can be scary.

But when I try not to compete, wow, its hard. I want the best for my kids, but this doesn't mean I want my kids to be the best, well at everything. And people/acquaintances generally don't want to hear your tale of woe, they want you to inspire them to do better. Just look at me. I'm into doing what I can, mostly what I enjoy and doing the best I can, but exceptional I am not. All my friends inspire me to do "something" better, which again clearly reminds me how not exceptional my talents are. But they are my friends, and they are the best at listening to me rant about the sudden disappearance of all things average. But hey, if I wasn't average, then how would everyone else know how to measure themselves?

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I think you're exceptional...and your boys too!

Anonymous said...

While there is nothing wrong with being average, you my dear, are Soooo far from average, as are your beautiful boys, that it makes my mind reel to know you could possibly feel that way! Average is the exception in your life, not the norm and I truly can't think of anything you are average at. You raise the bar for all of us in creativity, productivity, passion and determination. I've always hated how quick our society is to judge and label children when each child learns and deals with situations at different times and in different ways. I'm sure I'll hate it even more once Julia begins pre-school . . .