March 19, 2009

On starting a business


There are great aspects to starting a business;
- I feel empowered about making a personal change,
- I feel empowered by the idea of helping others in creating my businesses
- I feel excited about the work that needs to be done,
- I gained independence, etc.

There are silly bits that I enjoy:
- picking out stationary, business cards
- set up my accounts/accounting
- thinking about the marketing plans, ways to get attention,
- arranging the office, albeit on a budget, etc.

Then there are the things that boggle my mind:
  • For my stationary/business cards I wanted a PO Box.
  • To get a PO Box the post office requires you to show your letterhead to them.
  • Did they think I was showing the real thing?
also;
  • To protect the personal from business liabilities, I became an LLC.
  • The forms from various tax agencies (state, federal) keep appearing in the mail.
  • This is silly, but the forms are pre-folded in a manner that doesn't fit the accompanying envelopes. Does the government not know how to make a letter fit in an envelop?
Then there are the fears:
- Can I do this?
- Will anyone buy?
- I get more time with the boys, but at what income cost?
- What are realistic goals, am I setting my goals ridiculously high, or are them possible?

Finally there is reality:
- I know my budget.
- I know my lack of patience.
- I have phase 1, phase 2 and phase 3 plans, but I want to do it ALL NOW! I hate starting at phase 1.
- I have fantasies of phenomenal success! I keep these in check, and to myself. However, I also keep them alive in my mind to motivate myself.
- I know I'm new at running my own business(es) and I will make mistakes, but I don't want to make super big mistakes. UGH!
- I'm one person, doing it all; There lies the power, there lies the limitation, and there lies the risk.

I know I try to blog on the boys, and does all this relate to them? I want them to understand taking pride in your work, following your dreams. Yes, they know I "work" from home. They know when I'm on the phone they have to stay out of the "office". They know I talk to important people that supply drugs to make us better. But, they also know I'm trying to create a toy company, and I'm not sure if they see the work that goes into it. However, when my shipment finally gets here, they will know, because I'm sure they can fold and seal a box.

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm super impressed with you starting a business. Seriously. I can't wait to follow this next journey. Best wishes with picking out stationary and business cards. Super cool.