When the kids are doing something that drives me nuts, I remind myself, "they will grow out of it before they get to college". Frankly, its a technique I picked up from my favorite parenting book, Dr. Spock. And, yes, as I tell my husband, I know he's dead (Dr. Spock that is)!
So this morning, as I was making breakfast, the sitter decided my little man should not go to his gym class in his pajamas. Of course I had let him wear his beloved pajamas all of the early morning. He threw a FIT. He ran into the kitchen naked, clutching his pajamas, with tears streaming down his face. I told the sitter, "I really don't mind if he goes to gym class in his pajamas, just throw a coat on him. This is not a worthy battle."
She gave me a variation of the evil eye that you can use when your boss is in the room and can see you. Clearly I was breaking, "I have the cleanest charge in tow code". DS1 was helping mix the eggs and he heard me say, "No worries, I'm sure he'll grow out of it before he goes to college." Then DS1 asked, "mommie, why are you still in your pajamas if the rest of us are dressed?"
There is no good answer to that. Sometimes it is hard to work from home. The joy is I do my morning email and news checks in the comfort of my pajamas, with a cup of tea in hand. However, I tend to easily get wrapped up in working and it is not uncommon for me to still be in my pajamas when the boys come in for lunch. I like to eat lunch with the boys, so I'm not going to use that time to shower! Then its a real personal debate, if I'm going to the gym in the late afternoon, there is no reason to shower now. But if not, yes, I'm showering after lunch on most days.
Yeah, it feels a bit lazy, but it really is a good use of my morning time; jumping straight into the work while I'm the most alert. And the after lunch shower helps block out the after lunch sugar low. But am I really setting a good example? I have to think on this one. And yeah, when I was in college, I showered every morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment