March 11, 2009

A sacred relationship


The relationship between mother and son is simple. Mother. Son. But it is also complex. Mother. Son.

DS1 asked, "Who will grow to be as big as daddy first; me or my brother?" I said, "You will."

His response floored me, "You know why? Because I came first and I came from your belly." Hello! Guess we are there. He understands that his brother did not come from my belly. Yet he is still his brother. I believe we are now understanding the adoption story. WOW.

I love both my boys. But with my man that came from China, I love him, love (if that is the right word, maybe recognize with a certain level of respect and compassion) his biological parents and I love the serendipity that exists between us to bring us together. I don't love the circumstances that existed to allow us to come together. I look forward to sharing the adoption story with him and I equally dread sharing the story with him. I'm thankful for the practice I get in explaining it to others, to his big brother.

2 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Another great post. I wonder how soon before Josie will start asking those HARD questions?? I'm glad she's still little, but I know that our time is coming.

Nicole said...

Man... DS1 sure is smart as a whip, huh??? I wonder what my boys think... I know they are plenty old enough to understand everything, but they've never questioned it. Hmmm...