In the last 10 days we have been to 3 birthday parties for four year olds. These are not necessarily the parties I love, but hey, I'm working from home so I'll take the opportunity to interact with adults.
The parties this week have been the spectrum you see in NYC. One was at home in a tiny apartment with the right number of kids (~8), but too many parents. No structure (other than the mandatory pizza delivery and cake at the end of the allotted time). The kids just played with toys while helium balloons floated about. The second was the "all in" at a local gym with a crew of 6-8 people to herd a group of 30 kids through the gym; tumbling, trampoline, rock climbing wall, dancing, etc. Then we were escorted to the "food room" where the mandatory pizza and cake was served, along with rhythmic chanting singing about the b.day celebrity. These official places never allow alcohol. Finally, the last was the in between; at a home, but they had just bought the apartment next door which was empty and it was in that space. Kids could draw on the walls, play with toys or do the activities offered (games and story time) before sitting down on the floor for pizza and cup cakes. At all the parties, my boys left with a goody bag of toys they broke in 10 minutes and candy they devoured in 5, but most importantly without all the energy with which they arrived, which helps bed time.
Tonight I offer a list of things I enjoy most at kids b.day parties:
- there should be alcohol for the adults. It should be obvious and refilled regularly.
- there should be extra people there to watch the babies vs. the herd of trampling kids.
- I don't mind dancing/running with the kids, if I don't have to take my shoes off.
- If I have to take my shoes off, so should the host.
- If activities for the kids aren't offered, then helmets should be.
- I would like to ban big pizza slices. If the kids can't hold them on their own, then expect the floor to get messy.
- cupcakes rule; if you don't bake, ask someone who does (i.e., I made the ones in the photo and I was thrilled to help out!) the store ones suck - they are all frosting and food coloring that oddly stains little faces.
- if Daddies attend, they should be in charge of watching the kids because the mommies really are desperate to chat with one another about things other than sports.
- if a child is standing on anything other than the floor, it should be reminded that it should be on the floor
- expect tears, from the kids, maybe mommies.
- ditch the "group " photo idea
- ban all games that involve sticks or ropes
- obvious tissues and garbage cans in every room
- departure gift bags should not include sticky or hard candy
- I don't mind bringing gifts, but I also don't mind when the request is to only bring books, but the kids get angry if they can't bring/receive a present.
- whomever is closest to the kid with snot, wipes.
- juice boxes rule.
I've not followed all my suggestions, but I continue to hope to do better.
4 comments:
Great bday party planning tips. The alcohol suggestion is fantastic advice (hee hee).
Those cupcakes are totally adorable...can you make them for my 45th Birthday....Paleeeeaaaasssseeee! Okay you're too busy and far away I know...I thing I'll make them for myself. They have to be gluten free anyway and baking gluten free is a challenge in and of itself! I'm still learning!!! Enjoy these times so much because with my baby graduating in three short months I really feel how fast they fly by! She'd still love the monkey cupcakes though!!!!
GREAT cupcakes!!!! We've had our fair share of parties... some structured, some not so structured. My oldest son's favorite was when he turned 6. He had a football themed party, and the kids and dads played flag football in the back yard (we spray painted the grass to make the field). It was great... the kids were involved with doing something, but it didn't require much work from me!!!
Love your rules & the cupcakes. Come to LA. Just about every birthday party I've gone to (my kids are 2 & 4) has had plenty of alcohol:)
Post a Comment