August 04, 2008

8/4/08 - Asian Influence



On photos, how can a kid be so cute and exhausting? Guess I learned that with DS1 too!

Today is Monday! A great thing, we are all sleeping better and the weekend is over and real life starts to assemble. While I'm not at work yet, just kind of plugged in, the reality of Monday is great. The sitter was with DS1 all day, but we did play together in the morning and have lunch together, DS2 was with me and DH had to work. Additionally we live a social life and DH has a friend in town, staying in his office, that we met for lunch and dinner. DS2 showed me an extremely social side today as he gave high fives to everyone we met, although to stay in a comfort zone he was physically on me all the time he was awake.

On Asian influences - When we were in China, I was sensitive that I didn't want the Chinese to think I was not properly taking care of DS2. However, I didn't realize how much Chinese influences there are in my daily life at home.

First, I was meeting DH and his long time college buddy at an out door cafe for lunch - it is so gorgeous today! Blue skies, light breeze! Well, I was walking around with DS2 in my arms looking for them when the hostess asked if she could help me. I said I was joining my husband. She pointed to a totally attractive maybe 30 year old Chinese guy at the bar and asked if that was him! My first thought was, I'm entirely too old to be married to a guy that young and hip looking, kid, then....it hit me he was Asian! We'll maybe DS2 is taking a few years off me!!

Then when DS2 fell asleep for a nap around 2 pm, I ran to my usual spot when DS1 fall asleep on the weekend, the nail salon. I knew that the people that worked there were Chinese, but it was the first time I've ever felt slightly embarrassed about knowing they were all Chinese. I tried to play it cool, but my masseuse (a man) went gaga for DS2 and need to know what Provence and all that jazz. During my message, there was a lot of Chinese being spoken, which seem directed in my direction and though my eyes were mostly shut, I could feel the movement of people as they walked over, peeked in the stroller, and discussed the situation. On my way out another male masseur, not the guy I normally use, told me my son was lucky to have a new life. It was sincere and nice. I smiled and said I was lucky to have him as well.

For dinner we met at a half Chinese, half Latino restaurant, which is bizarre and a combination I only ever see in NYC. The waiters are all older Chinese men. They were interested, looking lots but said nothing. But, at this point in the day I was to tired to bother explaining. And DH was so interested in talking with his friend I was focused on getting the kids feed and keeping them well behaved in the restaurant (my main restaurant concerns are DS1 is really loud when he wants attention and DS2 is still throwing, but getting stronger which means throwing further!)

Asia is really all around us. Nothing special planned tomorrow, but Thursday we have an appointment, DS2 and I with the international pediatrician.

1 comment:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Living in West Michigan (versus NYC) certainly provides an opportunity for more diverse experiences. I'm very jealous. Best wishes with your international pediatrician appointment.