February 23, 2009

Super Nanny to the rescue - taking it local

My lovely husband (DH), who normally sits in the room while I watch Super Nanny, but is likely to be found not really paying attention, but in reality he does watch it a bit. The reality is I think he likes the show and is afraid to admit it. I find in my reality show viewing (which consist of Super Nanny, Hells Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares, with the occasional sprinkling of the original reality show - Antiques Road Show) DH has an interest in how defenses the participants become.

He loves Kitchen Nightmares as none of the chefs want to admit their food is bad or they have lost their passion. He talks about how interesting it is that although the parents went out of their way to invite Super Nanny for a visit, they are reluctant to try the new techniques, which aren't new at all if you routinely watch the show. So when he called me last week and walked me through how to set the timer to record Super Nanny on Friday night, I knew something was up!

Yes, last Friday Super Nanny visited a family on the Upper West Side of Manhattan (although the exterior shots were the east side to protect privacy). A family with two boys; a five year old and a two year old. Sounds familiar. Here's the kicker, we actually know them! Not well, but in a met you a couple times kind of way. Their older son took swim lessons (just the two of them in the class) with our older son. They always seemed nice, but the kid did not like to swim.

We watched the show. It was the most boring Super Nanny yet! First they are awesome parents who just lack a backbone for handing out discipline. They were totally honest and upfront about needing help, with no ego attached at all. The tools offered were the basics; time outs, separation technique, going to bed/staying in bed techniques. The only new things was JoJo taking them to task on having too much clutter in their house. Guess what, the parents just stepped up and cleaned house.

Of course, Sunday morning we go into family swim and the family is there. DH had to tell them that we watched the show. They kind of ran away. Of course us in our swim caps with two excited children is a situation worthy of running from. But I was sad I didn't get to tell them Kudos for asking for help. (1) it is not easy to ask for help, (2) you can't control the responses you receive once you have asked, and (3) parenting suck, but we will survive it.

I LOVED the show. It just goes to show that we can all use a bit of help. And like a review I read afterward, "we all know Super Nanny isn't about fixing the kids, its about fixing the parents." Who doesn't need a bit of help getting all the tools of parenting!!

No comments: