May 05, 2009

Should I know by now?

The last few days have brought snot and coughs back into our household. Not that I really expect them to leave for a long time, but it is SPRING!

This time around it was different. The Big Boy has a runny nose, swollen eyes, little coughing but no sneezing or fever. I started the usual Spring regimen for him of antihistamines for allergies which works until the pollen gets really high, then we go in for antihistamine eye drops. He tends to have allergies for a week in the spring, a week in the fall. So we call for an appointment, but we don't get our usual pediatrician. the substitute treats us like we have the plague and tells me he has an eye infection and fluid in his ears. Frankly I'm stunned. She tells me that he's likely had a fever and I missed it. Right!!?

I submit to the antibiotic prescription; we don't do this often. Now it is three days later, and guess what his eyes are still red - I think they hate the antibiotic eye drops, his nose is still running and he still has a little cough, I think it is just allergies, but he is taking the antibiotic. And I'm still giving him the antihistamine for allergies. Still no fever. I think if he had an infection he would have responded by now. I disagree with the doctor on this one. Give it three more days and I bet the symptoms pass like the normal Spring thing.

Why is this of any interest. Well the little man started coughing, and I don't have the full seasonal history with him. Let alone what new pollens to which we may be exposing him. I don't have the gut instinct. I personally thought, "its just a little cough, nothing more". He would cough during the day, but not at night. I don't even give him antihistamine because he doesn't seem to be itching his eyes. But then the meeting with the pediatrician with the Big Boy rattles my nerves so I drag the Little Man into the doctor the next day. You guessed it, just a cough she doesn't want to do antibiotics or anything.

To me it was interesting. I just don't have as much history with the Little Man. It makes it harder to guess what is going on. I'll have to monitor myself going forward to listen to me as much as I listen to outside influences. But this is where you feel that lack of knowledge in the early relationship as a parent. I'm guessing this is where I was with the big boy when he was a baby. So I'm guessing it will get better the longer the little man and I are together.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Hang in there... I completely understand. At this point, I know when the boys are going to get sick (change in humidity/temp, etc), and I know what it'll be (croup, runny nose, etc). With Katelyn it's still an experiment. Katelyn has allergy issues quite often. We were told to just give her Claritin any time she starts to get sniffly... seems to be working so far.