November 12, 2009

Happy Anniversary to me!

So one year ago today my group was called into a conference room and told that we would not have jobs, that we needed to pack up and be out within an hour, that we would not be receiving our contracted pay. WOW!

I've not known a year to fly by so fast. It is so long ago, I almost don't remember what life was like getting on the subway every weekday morning. Missing the warm summer afternoons in the park, missing the snow days with sledding. Yet, it seems like yesterday and I'm still at the very beginning of this adventure I've started.

Today I lifted 1.1 tons, 2,2187 lbs, literally! and it felt good! It was my second run of Norman, all 91 boxes were lifted by me and distributed to all the hiding places I found around the apartment (OK "hiding" might be too strong of a word, but places where they wouldn't stop our general movements).

This week I completed my 5th trade show, representing the product, and had our greatest success to date - Norman will soon be appearing in the National Zoo in Washington DC, as well as in the Ohio Caverns! I finally meet with a book keeper who's going to help me organize it all. I'm meeting with girlfriends tonight. And I made ham and cheese crepes with the boys this morning.

I am consulting, running a business, and frankly happy. I wish there was more time for working, working out, cooking, eating and sleeping. I wish it was summer all the time. But you know what... one year later... I am making it happen and having fun!

A year ago, I was even in a very different place as a mother. The Little Man had only been with us for a few months, and I thought I was losing my mind. Adoption transition was not easy. I was still thinking I had made a mistake. But now, I have two loving boys that both have their moments, but are making me a stronger person every day.

My first goal was to launch the businesses. My goals for the next year are huge, but again I feel like they are possible. I face challenges and fears daily. There are days that are hard to get out of bed (well, there were last month). And how I push through not only amazes me, but inspires me to keep going.

And do I miss it? Wall Street, being a desk job, or even the work.... NO!!! I've got such more exciting and interesting things to think about, work on, move that I can't wait to see what this next year brings. What a difference a year makes. What an opportunity was handed to me by my old Wall Street employer. yeah, I'll have more than one cocktail tonight.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

You rock!!!!!!! Can't wait to see where you'll be a year from now! :)

Musings from Kim K. said...

I can't believe all you've accomplished in 1 year. You GO GIRL!

Chris said...

Just goes to show anything is possible you just have to jump, work hard and have faith! I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!