October 21, 2009

Nature

It is that time of the year when our annual visit from the lady bugs start.

I don't know, its just soothing that they view us as a regular visit. It is calming, I mean really, it is not like a lady bug is intimidating.

On the side of our apartment that faces the park, it is also the side that gets the heating rays of the afternoon sun, the lady bugs swarm. Yesterday was the first noticeable day, we had about 50 in the kitchen and about 30 in the boys' room. They mostly hang by the windows, the curtains, the ceiling; but hardly ever do we find them more than 2-3 feet from the window. Of course, I also have the windows open. I expect today we'll have a couple hundred and by a week from now they are down to just 10-15.

It typically starts when the weather gets cold, but then warms up one last time in late October. And as long as I keep the windows open, we get to watch them migrate when the sun goes down; they fly back out the windows (except maybe one or two, but even these "old guys" stay near the window all night.

The boys like me to catch one for them and put it on their hands/arms. They are both gentle. It is funny though, that we've come to accept their presence and enjoy their annual visit. At least this year The Little Man isn't trying to eat them.

The boys mentioned it to the doormen and the doormen then asked if I wanted the exterminator sent up. I was shocked, why? They seem harmless and they leave at the end of the day. Given our doorman are island souls, they were totally cool with my choice, one even asked if he could come see them.

I'll try to remember to take a photo this afternoon. After yesterday, its good to look forward to an afternoon with the bugs.

No comments: