August 10, 2009

ASD Show Appears a Bust

I could be heart broken or depressed, but really I'm not. The show is a bust, I mean BUST!

It is totally the wrong venue for me, and if my buyers show up here it is only because they were as naive as I am. When I signed up, I did a few things right: I asked what was the price of goods being sold and was told "moderate", I also checked the list of last years vendors and saw the major plush houses listed. But in reality this is a "value/close out" show. The toys here are the mass merchandising products that you would find on Canal Street in NYC. Not even the stuff I like to buy for my boys. I didn't even know these vendors would need a show, I thought they just sold by catalogue.

There were signs during set up that I was not at my ideal venue, but I didn't know how to read these signs. Don't think this is racist, but I need to explain the reality; all the major vendors are Asian importers. No body was friendly with me. No one was speaking English. Everyone had major booths, 2-6 booth space, not the one off space of an interesting unique product like mine.

And when the show opened, most of the buyers were Asian distributors, and walked right passed me even though I said hello to everyone. A few folks have been willing to hear my pitch and like the product. However, they are at this show to get deals, and my price point is totally out side of their expected range. I'm simply at the wrong venue.

What I have heard overall in general advise before coming to the show is true. And I'm gaining a bit advice while at the show. So let me share:
  • Try to visit a show before presenting - then you really know what it is like, but you'll have to wait another year to show. This good advice if you have the time to build your business and fly to these locations without a 'return'. But, one vendor told me that a few years ago I would have totally fit in here, but in the last two years the venue had really changed its stripes.
  • Buyers want to see you before buying from you. It is true you need to get to the shows to meet the buyers, but it is clear that some are interviewing me and want to see me around before they start buying from me. While I think it is great to have a relationship, I think it is a silly reason for not carrying a product their customers may buy.
  • Look at the list of vendors for fit. I agree, but I would add scrutinize the vendor list. Beyond seeing the big names in your category, do you see some of the smaller up and coming companies that you admire? If not, there might be a reason.
  • You will meet people. Yes, I am still meeting some interesting folks. There is great resistancetheir business card. When asked most people say no. They'll take your information and follow you, but only those really interested in you product are willing to hand over their cards. And, given how much marketing materials and sampling costs, I'm cool with this attitude.
  • There are sharks. Yes, I've already had a "business consultant" stop by and tell me why he thinks my businesses will fail and how he can help me. I promptly told him he has assumed an incorrect business plan and that this is the inappropriate venue to have such a discussion and I would be happy to see him leave my booth. At which time I also stood my full height and glared that "Mommy would really like to hit you" glare.
  • Food at the Venues is terrible. Yes, but interestingly, they did bring in one food court just for the importers that serves only Asian style Asian food (vs. American style Asian food) which is really quite good although still ridiculously expensive. And hard to find.
There was one good comedic moment in the day. The lady beside me is selling some really strong smelling potpourri. I find it ironic that she is a smoker, which means it all smells less to her and stronger to me. Anyway a guy comes down the isle and takes a piece and throws it in his mouth thinking it was candy! I haven't seen anyone spit that violently in some time!

So, I am heading back to the show this morning. I will continue to be friendly, but honestly I'm a little tempted to leave the show a day early. We'll see how it goes today. And the biggest bummer. The pool closes at 6 pm, so I don't even get pool time.

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Sorry, friend. Sounds like this wasn't the venue that you had hoped it would be. Enjoy the alone time. Safe travels home.

Nicole said...

Ugh... sounds like the spitting incident was rather comical, though!!! :)

Vicky said...

I'm so bummed to hear that it didn't go well. Don't give up, you will find your place.