June 04, 2010

work related

The toy company is going well. And the stories that accompany the toys are my opportunity to try and change the world. The stories present cultural diversity, cultural inclusion and making friends even in the most unexpected circumstances.

I write the stories. I test them out on by reading early drafts to my boys. Then I test them out at pre-school. And before they publish they go to a real editor (who is awesome!!). Currently we have 2 Norman stories published, and the third that just finished with the illustrator. We have two more currently in production with other illustrators, one for Harry Hiccers - the Koala that likes to explore beyond Eucalyptus and then gets the hiccups, and one for Ben Kachoo - a hippo with allergies that lives in a swamp at the zoo, which is a explosive situation. I've already written stories two & three for Harry.

The Big Boy hears them all. He hears various versions. He hears bits and pieces before they are even complete. He gets to see the illustrations as they come in. He sees the creation process.

So this afternoon he walked up to my desk and handed me Norman Vol 2. I said "where'd this come from?"
"my room."
"don't you want a copy"
"I know it, I just want the keep hearing the new ones, the drafts"

Wow! isn't that the coolest! Someone who likes the drafting process! Someone who believes the stories will just keep coming! Someone pushing me to continue to explore Fierce Fun Zoo! Someone who knows there is more to explore at this zoo!

No comments: