So on a holiday week, that really feels like a holiday year of the kids in my face 24-7, there are times when I just wanted a moment. I was trying the dreaded triple move, to shower, wash my hair and shave my legs, when I was joined by a toddler who could get off his diaper and pants, but not his shirt, who mistook shaving cream for shampoo. Let's not even talk about tampons; it just is too surreal. How about enough space to blow my nose without 'breathing' on anyone coupled with the lack-of-privacy which included a request to show the 'snots'.
Then there is also the issues of space that to me is included in privacy. It is underrated. I'm just talking about personal space to stand on one's own feet without someone on your toes. To fart without explaining it. The space to have a child sit in your lap but not 'squeeze boobie'. Enough space to open a stuck jar without accidentally elbowing a child that believes he's just 'standing behind' you.
So after preparing dinner with four extra sets of helpful hands that takes twice as long as usual leading to ''I'm hungry' melt downs, after washing almost all the plates less one which was dropped on the way to the sink because "I wanna help", after bed time preparation included wiping bottoms and snotty noses, I chose to run out to the store for eggs for breakfast. In mommy speak, it was a 'privacy, space, breathing deep" run! Even the check out clerk who knows my kids commented on my way out, "enjoy the moment of privacy".
2 comments:
I totally get IT. Yesterday, I volunteered to shovel snow because I needed privacy from the girls.
The story of every mother on the earth. Even when it feels you are alone in this role there are millions of us experiencing the exact same moments in our days and dreams of just that one moment where we can breathe in the silence! I still do it from time to time and the kids are basically grown....of course I think my husband is the biggest kid so I may never escape it completely! I've just learned to send him out for drinks with the boys or a round of golf so I can have a few hours with the house totally to myself and all the silence I could ever dream of!
Post a Comment